Lids

Started by 1-600-matt, March 16, 2014, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

Quote from: Millhouse on March 20, 2014, 06:40:46 AM
Bulldog statue wearing reindeer ears obviously!!!!

lol i need to get me one

Gilby104

I love the design and fit of my AGV S4 but the noise makes it nearly unbearable on longer journeys. I'd get a shortlist of lids you like that fit and then scope out views on noise.... or sound them out if you will.

I suppose my problem could be fixed with ear defenders but I really don't like wearing them.

MOzZereLLa

Riding a bike without ear plugs is just fucking stupid Gilby.

You'll have hearing damage in a matter of years.
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

Hands up, I've virtually done it all my riding days and luckily my hearing range is still very, very good. Better than somebody of my age, never mind exposure deserves. I just have never found a plug that does not irritate or hurt.

1-600-matt

I can't ride without ear plugs in, apart from being stupidly loud, the bike sounds like a bag of spanners... Stick some plugs in and it's good to go!!

Gobert

Quote from: 1-600-matt on March 27, 2014, 11:19:09 PM
I can't ride without ear plugs in, apart from being stupidly loud, the bike sounds like a bag of spanners... Stick some plugs in and it's good to go!!

+1

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Gobert on March 28, 2014, 08:15:13 AM

+1

+2

Millhouse

Quote from: Green_Ninja on March 28, 2014, 09:31:47 AM

+1

+2

used to be a +3

but with the chin guard on the xr1100 it's FAR quieter!
Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Millhouse on March 28, 2014, 09:33:58 AM
Quote from: Green_Ninja on March 28, 2014, 09:31:47 AM

+1

+2

used to be a +3

but with the chin guard on the xr1100 it's FAR quieter!

but still not quiet enough to not need earplugs if you want to avoid damaging your ears.

Nat

I saw the stand for the custom earplugs at the show and enquired but I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend that much money on something there's a good chance I could lose.  Luckily I got used to wearing cheapie foam ear plugs from the second I passed my test.  They block out a lot of noise but it'd be interested to try custom or expensive ones to compare.

TBH the bike rarely goes over 2krmp so I probably don't need ear plugs :rofl:
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Millhouse

Quote from: Nat on March 28, 2014, 12:37:58 PM

more to do with wind noise that engine nose nat.

supposed to be over 105db inside a lid at 70mph

ash

Quote from: Millhouse on March 28, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
Quote from: Nat on March 28, 2014, 12:37:58 PM

more to do with wind noise that engine nose nat.

supposed to be over 105db inside a lid at 70mph

I could well believe that. Engine noise is insignificant irrespective of whether a standard or race can is being used. My HJC lid is actually the quietest lid I've ever used. I rarely use earplugs with it riding locally (on a long rideout I do though).

On a side note, my last HJC lid saved my mates life (he was loaning it at the time for a short ride). He has finally settled his case, and has agreed to allow me to bandsaw it in half to see the depression in the foam. He hit the car at 60, did a superman above the height of the car and the first thing to impact the road when he landed was the lid...no neck or head injuries. The impact point looks to me to be the ridge behind the visor mechanism

I just need to get it in to work to get it done now.

Gilby104

Quote from: MOz on March 27, 2014, 06:50:35 PM
Riding a bike without ear plugs is just fucking stupid Gilby.

You'll have hearing damage in a matter of years.

Honestly, I know you're right (although I'd say it was a bit silly over fucking stupid  :tongue:) and I have tried several times. I don't know what it is but having them in makes me so disorientated and seems to completely ruin my sense of speed. Makes me nervous on the bike.

Luckily there seems to be no problems as yet. My hearing is normally better than most.

Millhouse

Gilby104