Cheap helmet

Started by Carbon_ZX6R, March 31, 2019, 08:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbon_ZX6R

bought a throw away lid for the other half (4 star rated so still safe)

and im absolutely blown away with the quality for the price , finish is perfect , has a nice weight to it , visor movement is very nice all is good quality , the inside feels quite premium also

and its all for under £30 delivered for a helmet that not only score higher for safety than alot of £400-£500 helmets it also feels nice inside

if anyone is after a "cheap" lid or wanting a spare i would 100% recommend the Agrius rage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agrius-Rage-SV-Warp-Motorcycle-Helmet-Full-Face-Scooter-Motorbike-Crash-Bike-Lid/191953238341?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=491092600948&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

MOzZereLLa

Nope. Sorry.

A throwaway lid?

Fuck that.
Significantly faster than you.....

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on March 31, 2019, 10:29:28 PM
Nope. Sorry.

A throwaway lid?

Fuck that.
By that I meant cheap and cheerful (I did check safety rating and was impressed but expected it to feel cheep )
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Alzo

The perception will always be cheaper is less protective...what the reality is possibly less so...but that said I will stick with a brand I feel offers the best protection available.

MOzZereLLa

To be fair they're probably being punted at at trade.

I'd be interested to know how old they are?

Still horrible and I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

As an aside, I tried a Shoei on at the weekend. I've been Arai all my life but Shoei have changed their shape recently (according to the dealer) and the one I tried felt really good.

PJ

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on April 01, 2019, 09:49:49 AM
As an aside, I tried a Shoei on at the weekend. I've been Arai all my life but Shoei have changed their shape recently (according to the dealer) and the one I tried felt really good.

Ditto Moz, I have had Arai's for over 10 years and everytime I tried on a Shoei or AGV it felt awful. Last year I was looking at getting a flip front and I tried the Shoei Neotec on and (to me) it's as comfy as any of my Arai's were. I did try an NXR on too and if I was looking for a regular lid I'd have definitely considered it.

MOzZereLLa

NXR and X-Spirit 3 both felt better than my Arai. Lighter too. If only they actually produced a decent colour scheme. 

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on March 31, 2019, 08:47:06 PM
bought a throw away lid for the other half (4 star rated so still safe)

and im absolutely blown away with the quality for the price , finish is perfect , has a nice weight to it , visor movement is very nice all is good quality , the inside feels quite premium also

and its all for under £30 delivered for a helmet that not only score higher for safety than alot of £400-£500 helmets it also feels nice inside

if anyone is after a "cheap" lid or wanting a spare i would 100% recommend the Agrius rage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agrius-Rage-SV-Warp-Motorcycle-Helmet-Full-Face-Scooter-Motorbike-Crash-Bike-Lid/191953238341?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=491092600948&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nope Nope Nope don't care what the star rating os I wouldn't entertain one. Partly because I am a bit of a Helmet Snob (Shoei being my lid of choice NXR to be precise) but have previously had 'budget' lids that were more than that but the were shot on that the build quality was awful, they were bloody uncomfortable and ventilation terrible. As they say you only get 1 head how much is it worth - a Damn sight more than £30.

That fact you bought one for your other half, seems to me she doesn't mean that much to you. Do the right thing buy her a decent lid.

Dom1

Or you wear it and give her yours if its any better.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Lord Danoir the first

I think young knucklehead raises a good point and I think it indicates how much we get ripped off for premium brand lids.

Most of us are happy to pay it, but it doesn't mean that the quality of the product is any better, and from a consumer point of view, if the safety rating is high, then what's the issue other than snobbery?.........

The point he's making is that it is as safe as more expensive lids according to the rating, but what he's saying is that it also appears to be of a decent quality........

Makes me sick up a bit in my mouth to say this, but I think the lad's got a point and we should get off our high horses and listen to what he has to say........ maybe he could show us some pic's or a vid in order to back up what he's saying.
He's a proper cheap cunt mind.

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Dom1 on April 01, 2019, 05:57:48 PM
Or you wear it and give her yours if its any better.
its pink.....

but on a serious note my daily driver helmet (agv) scored lower in the sharp test and was over ten times more in cost

i have always been the you get what you pay for kinda guy especially with bike gear , but it shows that its not all crap

how much cost do they really cost to manufacture? because im seriously wondering just how much we pay for a brand name
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

David W

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on April 01, 2019, 10:30:10 AM
NXR and X-Spirit 3 both felt better than my Arai. Lighter too. If only they actually produced a decent colour scheme.

I swapped from an RX7 to an X-SpiritIII, and I've had Arai since 1993!  Dunno what was up with my last version RX7 but it was awful to wear and gave me headaches because of the pressure across my forehead.

MOzZereLLa

Still no despite Dan's efforts.

I've had Arai, AGV, HJC and a few cheaper enduro type kids.

There is a huge difference in quality, feel and fit between Arai/Shoei/AGV (to a certain extent) and the others and for that reason - I'd never buy a cheaper lid.

I'm not a snob - if my head has to spend a day in a lid and be protected it won't be in a cheap lid I haven't heard of.

Green_Ninja

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on April 01, 2019, 07:02:30 PM
Still no despite Dan's efforts.

I've had Arai, AGV, HJC and a few cheaper enduro type kids.

There is a huge difference in quality, feel and fit between Arai/Shoei/AGV (to a certain extent) and the others and for that reason - I'd never buy a cheaper lid.

I'm not a snob - if my head has to spend a day in a lid and be protected it won't be in a cheap lid I haven't heard of.

Yep totally with Moz, also there have been lots and lots of cheap helmets on ebay purporting to be Sharp tested that aren't. It's not just snobbery but how much is your LIFE worth???

Kitb4460

I purchased a £100 Nitro helmet as it fitted great at the time.

At the time.......

Was using it on my 125 comuter every day. Regardless of the weather for 3 year , done about 12,000 miles. So really no shame to it.

Didn't realise how crap the inside was until i took a bigger bike out for a test ride prior to a purchase.

Over 65 mph it lifted and shook from side to side and lifted up.

You buy cheap. You get cheap.

Then spent the price of the 125 i sold on a new Arai lid. Tried on about 10 different lids, found the one that fitted me,.

I would rather cough up a bit more and get a quality lid .

Retired Rozzer and loving it.