Odd shock behaviour, anyone understand how they are assembled?

Started by Martin#30, July 31, 2014, 07:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin#30

Evening all,

The WP 4618 on my trackbike has started behaving oddly recently. The nitrogen reservoir can now rotate fairly easily, meaning that the reservoir can now contact the chain when the suspension is heavily compressed.

The short video below shows what I mean. I have taken the shock off the bike, and examined it, but I cannot see any locking pins or grub screws to tighten.

Anyone know what stops the reservoir rotating normally?

Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7qZ0H1370&feature=youtu.be
Wiltshire based, bit of a trackday addict, ex racer with North Glos, commuting on a 1400GTR and riding round in circles on a wheelbarrow ZX10R.

big gav

where the top shock mount bolts to the frame , is its mounting tight ?

0luke0

Quote from: MIKE - ZX10r on July 31, 2014, 08:35:38 PM
Yer chain looks a bit loose ;-)

LOL.

Speak to 100% Suspension, i think they used to be the WP importer.  It definitely shouldn't do that!

mc101

Quote from: Martin#30 on July 31, 2014, 07:05:22 PM
Evening all,

The WP 4618 on my trackbike has started behaving oddly recently. The nitrogen reservoir can now rotate fairly easily, meaning that the reservoir can now contact the chain when the suspension is heavily compressed.

The short video below shows what I mean. I have taken the shock off the bike, and examined it, but I cannot see any locking pins or grub screws to tighten.

Anyone know what stops the reservoir rotating normally?

Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp7qZ0H1370&feature=youtu.be

Thats the whole shock body rotating.  It looks like the locking nut which you do/undo to adjust shock length is "not locked".  Should on the top mount.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Martin#30

Thanks everyone for the ideas. The top mount is tight, and does not move. The shock length adjuster (which is at the bottom on mine) is also tight.

Odd one, I shall have to speak with Colin at 100% and see what he thinks.

Martin.
Wiltshire based, bit of a trackday addict, ex racer with North Glos, commuting on a 1400GTR and riding round in circles on a wheelbarrow ZX10R.

ash

That is the bracket loose on the frame where it bolts through above the shock.

Take the shock out, tighten the locking nut up on the frame. it isn't a problem with the shock itself, just how loosely you have it secured at the top.

Martin#30

Thanks Ash, definitely no movement at the top, or bottom mounts. Something has come loose internally.

I spoke with Colin at 100% and he told me he has seen the same recently on another, same generation zx10r WP.

Colin recommended FTR suspension, so the shock is in its way to them for diagnosis, and hopefully repair. Of slight concern is the fact that FTR say it is hard to get WP spares these days.

Martin.

ash

It looked to me like the top mount  of the shock is billet machined and a solid lump attached to the diameter of the body from the pics I found. The vid appears show the whole lot moving. Are they separate components ?

Martin#30

Just thought I would post back here in case it helps anyone in future. FTR suspension kindly took a look at the shock, and told me that the top alloy casing is broken internally, causing the rotation.

No spare parts are available from WP any more, so alas this shock is likely to head for recycling.

Great service by FTR, quite disappointed that there is no parts backup from WP.

Martin.

Millhouse

Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

ash

Quote from: Martin#30 on August 15, 2014, 01:25:17 PM
Just thought I would post back here in case it helps anyone in future. FTR suspension kindly took a look at the shock, and told me that the top alloy casing is broken internally, causing the rotation.

No spare parts are available from WP any more, so alas this shock is likely to head for recycling.

Martin.

Bad luck chap...Dibs if you intend on throwing it out ?

Gobert

Quote from: Martin#30 on August 15, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

Martin.

Couldn't you get the broken part copied?

Tuck

Be worth asking around any of the old WP dealers to see if they have any old spares kicking around before binning the shock. I would start with Darren at MCT in Stowmarket, my next stop would then be Wayne Lamb who I think was the main man for WP in the UK for years. Not sure where he works out of nowdays though, last time I saw him was about 3 years ago when he was working with FE but I think that relationship was pretty short lived.