Main Menu

which oil

Started by Carbon_ZX6R, June 25, 2018, 04:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbon_ZX6R

bit of a strange one , needing to do an oil change on the duke as ive poured most of it over the road , all i can find is everyone online saying it must be fully synth must be fully synth etc , but im always told to follow the manual of which it says and i quote "partially synthetic" the recommend motorex formula 4t as the oil , but is that going to be sufficient giving the type of engine it is?

what im trying to work out is who seems to know best , the people that built it , or every single person that rides one
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

MOzZereLLa

I would always go semi-synth for road riding.
Significantly faster than you.....

Carbon_ZX6R

Even due to the "race" like engine of the KTM? What I mean to say , is there a disadvantage to running fully synth other than the increased cost?
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Green_Ninja

The manual is written by KTM, the bke is biult by KTM, they recommend semi - synthetic therefore use semi - synthetic as that is what KTM - THE DESIGNER AND MANUFACTURER -  recommend - simples  ;) ;) ;)

Did you say on another thread you were a trained engineer......................................................................... :undecided:

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Green_Ninja on June 25, 2018, 08:55:41 PM
The manual is written by KTM, the bke is biult by KTM, they recommend semi - synthetic therefore use semi - synthetic as that is what KTM - THE DESIGNER AND MANUFACTURER -  recommend - simples  ;) ;) ;)

Did you say on another thread you were a trained engineer......................................................................... :undecided:
"qualified mechanic"*
(loosely)

ive just checked the service history , main dealer put in completely different oil 10w60 fully synth when should have been 15w50 , and another dealer put in 10w40(has in it at present)

i would always go with what the dealer recommends but when i cant find anyone that actually does go with that recommendation , including main dealers , it makes me want to ask questions

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Alzo

Do you have a owners manual?
If yes use the oil recommended within the Specification page.
What previous buffoons have done should not concern you...you are in a position to right the wrong.

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

What would you have done if the previous owner had put chicken soup in there instead of oil? Ring a KTM dealer, look at the owners manual, google it, but whatever you do, put what is supposed to be in there, in there.

Was you mechanics course by correspondence with a 'university' in India?

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on June 26, 2018, 08:26:53 AM
What would you have done if the previous owner had put chicken soup in there instead of oil? Ring a KTM dealer, look at the owners manual, google it, but whatever you do, put what is supposed to be in there, in there.

Was you mechanics course by correspondence with a 'university' in India?
It was not no, I looked onlone first as I didn't realise I had the owners manual
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on June 25, 2018, 04:24:19 PM
what im trying to work out is who seems to know best , the people that built it , or every single person that rides one

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on June 26, 2018, 09:29:33 AM
Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on June 25, 2018, 04:24:19 PM

I keep this forum alive! Show some dam respect! And do not post a r.e.s.p.e.c.t meme 😊
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

terry950sm

I use fully synthetic in all my KTMS. 10-60 on the singles and 10-50 on the twins.
Growing old gracefully

komp

my ktm's manual doesn't state if semi or fully synth
just that it should use 10w50
last lot i bought was fully synth tho
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Alzo

If the Break in period is over Fully Synthetic will be fine.

Carbon_ZX6R

the conflict im having , ktm swear by motorex

they recommend motorex formula 4t which is a semi
i can get the motorex fully synthetic for same price £11 a litre in the same weight
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Raydial

I know how you should decide...