Are we old or have sports bikes had their day?

Started by Foo, May 25, 2018, 06:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foo

Just musing the other day. But back when I first joined this site. Almost everyone was on a sports bike and wearing full leathers. There was a time I wouldn't been seen dead on something that wasn't a 'Z' something bike or wear anything other than leathers. I'd be horrified on a 600 or wearing textiles  :shocked:

Now I see less sports and more adventure or naked,.   Is this because I'm older, and like my comfort. Or is it because the adventure and naked bikes have become trendier (just saying that makes me feel old)

I paid less than 10k for my zx10, back in 2005. But now you'd not see change from 20k for a 1000cc bike - a 1000cv bike would cost less than your average family car, not now tho.

Or is it that we're all older, families, kids, not so much disposable cash and we don't see it. Although I have to say, when I visit places like Matlock, the power ranger brigade, on the 1000cc bikes are few and far between.

chuggy

I still love sportsbikes...would love a panzer again.... but I just don't want that 'full on' feeling, if I'm just popping to a coffee shop
I need 2 bikes.
And a job
Some hair
Bit more height
<sigh>

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Alzo

I think the truth is the Adventure bikes are as quick as Sportsbikes in the environment we ride...they offer comfort...practicality...I don't think it should be viewed as a negative...our European cousins made the switch a long time ago.
All said I do accept that age may be a factor...I still like spirited riding...but not scrunched up on a Sportsbike...no...no....and...no.

terry950sm

Growing old gracefully

Neio79

I think your first point is a big factor in it about cost. i paid less than 7K for my P7F new in 07. 

Nakeds have come a long way from 07 + really effectively sports bikes without fairings rather than turds. so they share the same parts and handle as well without the discomfort and are that bit cheaper, which is a big factor in todays world.  The BMW S1000R v RR is about a 2.5K difference for 90% of the fun and as fast on real roads.

I still love sports bikes and will never say never but i feel i will get another naked sports bike rather than the full fat version.   

Green_Ninja

I think a lot of it is the change in state of the roads, weight of traffic in this country, plus as you say an ageing of the majority of motorcyclists today.

Back in the day, early 2000's, when I got back into bikes and got my first Sportsbike, 1999 ZX6R, the gulf in performance between Sportsbikes and non Sportbikes was huge, nowadays there is very little difference in real world riding and in a lot of cases a naked/adventure bike can actually be quicker from A to B than a Sportsbike and just as much fun.

Case in point that 1999 ZX6R had 100bhp and weighed around 180kgs, my current Street Triple RS has 123BHP, more torque and weighs 166kgs (allegedly) it also has better suspension and brakes.

Dom1

Couldn't afford to run a sports bike any more even if I could afford to buy one.

The squeeze on incomes is a very real thing and affects the choice of how I get my two wheel kicks.

In all honesty the crashes didn't help either.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Jarse

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

I don't think they've had their day as such. I think it's just that their operating window is a much smaller one than modern 'all rounders' which are much more capable than they used to be. Take your bike, the S1000XR, that will tour, pootle and go mental to suit your mood. Couple that with the state of the UK roads and sports bike make less sense for more of the time.

Tuck

I used to do a lot of road riding on sportsbikes around our local roads. Local knowledge meant some great rides where you really could enjoy stretching your bike in relative safety, well out the way of everyone else and with very minimal fear of a nicking. In the 90's people were less inclined to go to a trackday as they could ride straight out their own garage and let rip. Full leathers, latest superbike, riding like I'm racing was pretty much the acceptable norm for many. I never went out on the road feeling that I was in any danger back then. A golden era, one we were so lucky to have been able to enjoy.

Times have changed. The amount of extra traffic on the roads seems to be multiples of what there was 15 years ago. My area has seen a massive boom in population meaning the roads are just all so busy now. The rapidly growing transport industry to move the food processed by all of the extra people in our area has put streams of extra lorries onto our roads, all in a county with no motorways and very few dual carriageways. Quiet back roads which were once like our own well maintained deserted TT circuit are now bumpy subsided, busy main routes.

We now have a huge amount of aging drivers, foreign drivers, people distracted by phones/tech, drink drivers, parked cars everywhere. Loads of cyclists, invalid scooters, pedestrians staring at phone screens stepping out and god knows what else to contend with. Streams of Lorry drivers 24/7 refusing to give way at roundabouts and junctions, using shortcut roads which they are too heavy for, damaging roads and peoples properties or slipstreaming each other to up their fuel figures etc. To top all of that the roads are all so totally ruined by those lorries and with such a disgusting lack of maintenance you could very easily hit a pot hole big enough in so many places to have you off. There is not a drain cover that isn't sunk down so far that it would have you over the bars even at slow speed or random pot holes and heavy subsidence everywhere. To add insult to injury in the rare instances you can find anywhere it actually is safe to ride at any kind of pace there will be a camera van, unmarked car, average speed cams etc to take the easy pickings.

Would love to have a road going sportsbike tucked away at the back of the garage for an occasional balls oot blat but fear I wouldn't make it home alive if I was daft enough to press on a bit. So many roads just out of town from where I live were once a Superbike playground but nowadays I just don't know where I would dare to ride a superbike other than on circuit.

David W

They are done.  The market has moved on and so have the manufacturers.
You can't even buy a sports bike that isn't 1000cc anymore.

You'll never get me in textiles though....

ash

It's an age thing... I'm just bloody minded though. I've ridden through two tennis elbows, and two frozen shoulders...still got the one

komp

definitely and age thing
I couldn't contemplate riding anything else
now I am at stage where i could only have one as a 2nd bike
in another 5 years will probably be happy to go full old bastard and get an adventure ;)
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

terry950sm

I nearly had to sell the GT. My aging hips and body couldn't handle the wide tank.
Growing old gracefully

Kitb4460

I think it is an age thing to be fair. What is the average age of folk on here and how long have they had a licence ?

Back in the day. Ok , my day 1993. Pass your test and a few grand put you on a race machine. Everyone had leathers on and the roads were nice , quiet and smooth and i had no fear.

Now... would either be a statistic or have no licence in under a week.

I really want an older Blade. Tho would i be comfy on it as i once was , probably not. Age related ailments .
Retired Rozzer and loving it.