Not really a newbie but just returning to bikes

Started by bobw, August 19, 2018, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobw

Not sure if the site was still here and looking at the dates of thread posting there does not seem a lot going on.Now I have just bought a 2015 Street Triple 675 RS after a 3 year break from bikes.First time ever without a bike since leaving school in 1973.Having bought a house in Spain a few years ago for my future retirement it seems a shame not to enjoy the sunshine out here for the summer.
Looking through the threads there are some familiar names.

Green_Ninja

Alzo

Quote from: bobw on August 19, 2018, 05:28:33 PM
Not sure if the site was still here and looking at the dates of thread posting there does not seem a lot going on.Now I have just bought a 2015 Street Triple 675 RS after a 3 year break from bikes.First time ever without a bike since leaving school in 1973.Having bought a house in Spain a few years ago for my future retirement it seems a shame not to enjoy the sunshine out here for the summer.
Where did you get the Speed from?

bobw

Quote from: Alzo on August 19, 2018, 06:35:04 PM
Portman Kawasaki in Guildford

Alzo

Quote from: bobw on August 19, 2018, 06:44:05 PM
Quote from: Alzo on August 19, 2018, 06:35:04 PM
Portman Kawasaki in Guildford
You enjoying so far....had a test ride...impressed with latest engine...great spread of power.

Dom1

Alright bob how are you and your lad?

Things are a bit quieter round here since Facebook and real life got in the way but some of us can't  let it go.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

MOzZereLLa

Zero new posts over the weekend.

Morale hits a new low....
Significantly faster than you.....

bobw

Quote from: Dom1 on August 19, 2018, 11:20:00 PM
Alright bob how are you and your lad?

Things are a bit quieter round here since Facebook and real life got in the way but some of us can't  let it go.

Were fine thanks Dom. Adam's just a bit bigger now.After all he's 26 now so not the small lad he was.
I thought I'd look in to see if the site was still here although it does look very quiet.Like you say real life gets in the way.

Raydial

Welcome back to bikes! I hope you don't have the same hassles importing it to Spain as I'm having with mine in Austria. Mind you, I'd expect the Spanish to be a bit more laid back than the Austrians...  :rolleyes:

bobw

Quote from: Raydial on August 20, 2018, 10:04:06 AM
Welcome back to bikes! I hope you don't have the same hassles importing it to Spain as I'm having with mine in Austria. Mind you, I'd expect the Spanish to be a bit more laid back than the Austrians...  :rolleyes:
At the moment we spend less than 180 days in Spain a year so we can use the car and bike the same as in England as long as its taxed mot'ed and insured.When come to live here permanently the fun starts as they both have to be the same spec as when they were built that is to say completely standard as per the original certificate of conformity.We only have 30 days after we arrive fully in Spain to get vehicles registered by having a new mot test and completing a test similar to an SVA in UK.Headlights are probably the only thing to change at great expense and fog lights on car.The biggest challenge then is to get them to do it within the 30 day time frame as we all know everything in Spain is manana otherwise we pay a large tax bill for importing our own goods.Of course what the new rules will be when we have left the EU is anybodies guess.

Raydial

Quote from: bobw on August 20, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
At the moment we spend less than 180 days in Spain a year so we can use the car and bike the same as in England as long as its taxed mot'ed and insured.When come to live here permanently the fun starts as they both have to be the same spec as when they were built that is to say completely standard as per the original certificate of conformity.We only have 30 days after we arrive fully in Spain to get vehicles registered by having a new mot test and completing a test similar to an SVA in UK.Headlights are probably the only thing to change at great expense and fog lights on car.The biggest challenge then is to get them to do it within the 30 day time frame as we all know everything in Spain is manana otherwise we pay a large tax bill for importing our own goods.Of course what the new rules will be when we have left the EU is anybodies guess.
Sounds very similar to Austria, then. Because my bike is heavily customised, I need to get an Einzelgenehmigung, which is like the SVA. I've been here for three months now and can't get useful information and my bike isn't registered here, it's in a garage, and I'm probably going to get fined when I eventually do get it registered.

The story so far...

I went to the ÖAMTC - like the Austrian AA but they do more, such as the "Pickerl" test, which is the equivalent of the MOT.
They told me they could do it if I had the registration documents, proof of ownership and a Technical Data Sheet that I had to get from Honda.
I went to a nearby Honda motorcycle garage and they told me they couldn't do the data sheet and I had to go to Honda Austria.
I went to Honda Austria who said to go to Magistrat 46 (a branch of the Vienna local government) and that I probably didn't need the data sheet but if I did, it would cost €90.
I went to Magistrat 46 who said I did need the sheet and then they could do the test so I ordered it.
After a few days, I picked up the data sheet from Honda Austria and rode straight to Magistrat 46 to book my appointment.
This time, Magistrat 46 told me that because it's custom, they couldn't do the test and gave me a few names of other places that could do it.
I contacted the first on the list and emailed back and forth until he stopped replying a month ago. I tried his phone a few days later and it eventually goes to voicemail where the message says he's unavailable and it gives another number for emergencies.
I phoned the second on the list, "DEKRA", explained that it's a custom and what I need. They said to come in to their office, and they'd check the documents and give me an appointment for the test. When I got off the phone, I checked the address and it's the same fucking office as Magistrat 46 who sent me away earlier. So I'm going in circles, feeling defeated.

My advice, sell the bike before you move to Spain and buy another there.

bobw

[/quote]

The bikes out here are very expensive secondhand so its easier to use a UK bike in both countries for now can't use foreign registered bike in Uk with Uk address etc.It's not quite so stressful as yours is .Bike I bought is almost standard so not much to change back.All the bits I've changed I've kept originals once its mot'ed and registered here I can change it back.Triumph want £120 for COC.

Kitb4460

Foook . That sounds like serious fucking about and a right pain in the ass.
Retired Rozzer and loving it.

Manic636

Quote from: Raydial on August 20, 2018, 03:47:45 PM
Quote from: bobw on August 20, 2018, 03:24:09 PM
Sounds very similar to Austria, then. Because my bike is heavily customised, I need to get an Einzelgenehmigung, which is like the SVA. I've been here for three months now and can't get useful information and my bike isn't registered here, it's in a garage, and I'm probably going to get fined when I eventually do get it registered.

The story so far...

I went to the ÖAMTC - like the Austrian AA but they do more, such as the "Pickerl" test, which is the equivalent of the MOT.
They told me they could do it if I had the registration documents, proof of ownership and a Technical Data Sheet that I had to get from Honda.
I went to a nearby Honda motorcycle garage and they told me they couldn't do the data sheet and I had to go to Honda Austria.
I went to Honda Austria who said to go to Magistrat 46 (a branch of the Vienna local government) and that I probably didn't need the data sheet but if I did, it would cost €90.
I went to Magistrat 46 who said I did need the sheet and then they could do the test so I ordered it.
After a few days, I picked up the data sheet from Honda Austria and rode straight to Magistrat 46 to book my appointment.
This time, Magistrat 46 told me that because it's custom, they couldn't do the test and gave me a few names of other places that could do it.
I contacted the first on the list and emailed back and forth until he stopped replying a month ago. I tried his phone a few days later and it eventually goes to voicemail where the message says he's unavailable and it gives another number for emergencies.
I phoned the second on the list, "DEKRA", explained that it's a custom and what I need. They said to come in to their office, and they'd check the documents and give me an appointment for the test. When I got off the phone, I checked the address and it's the same fucking office as Magistrat 46 who sent me away earlier. So I'm going in circles, feeling defeated.

Christ Ray that is some serious messing you about, sounds like theres a few from English government working over there... hope you havent pulled too much hair out