Motorcycles for Money

Started by Jarse, September 28, 2016, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarse

As the banks are paying no interest and shares, bonds and other lowish risk investments are paying back very little, I'm thinking about buying a bike as an interest and investment.  Occasional rides and pottering about in the garage.  I'm thinking SP-1 or 2, Ducati 999, early GSX-R.

Any thoughts, advise or experience?

Lord Danoir the first

Bought my Lotus and MV for the same reason.... Nice to own and won't at least lose money.

Doubt my MV will increase much in value but my Lotus has almost doubled since I got it.

Nice to open your garage and smile.....you can't do that with money in the bank

Jarse

Good points well made Dan.

Why do you think the MV won't appreciate over some years?

MOzZereLLa

The trick is finding something that will appreciate.

I was amazed how much TVR Griffiths' command these days.  Back in 2000 I couldn't give mine away for love nor money.  Today, its worth at least twice what I was asking for it back then, but thats 16 years later.

I doubt you'll buy anything two-wheeled to appreciate like Dan's Lotus has and to find an original SP1/2 or 999 will cost a fair amount for a decent one in the first place.

When you consider the bikes that cost a lot to buy these days, all were made in limited numbers (RC30,RC45, R7, Bimota V-Due etc) in the first place - the SP1/2 or 999 aren't limited enough.  There was a genuine HRC SP1 Dunlop rep on a Facebook selling site recently that was a little tatty and he was only asking £4k for that.

I think you need to consider your budget and accept no loss other than making anything in return for a rare modern classic in the garage.
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

I've heard slab side GSX-R's or especially original red and white R1's are appreciating.

I'd particularly thought an SP-2 maybe even Edwards rep but my question is asked to listen rather than justify my thoughts.

I guess I may look to spend circa £10k on one or maybe two bikes.

Harley or Indian may be an option but again, no obvious models stand out.

Andy M

would love a sp1/2 for occasional ride outs
How many rc8/r's were made?

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Andy M on September 28, 2016, 04:50:58 PM
would love a sp1/2 for occasional ride outs
How many rc8/r's were made?

Too many to be in the "appreciating" bracket.

Carbon_ZX6R

Get an nr750 and be done with it
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

PJ

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on September 28, 2016, 08:21:25 PM

That in itself could prove an expensive challenge....

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on September 28, 2016, 04:24:07 PM
Nice to open your garage and smile.....you can't do that with money in the bank

You git!!! You're not helping!!!!!

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: PJ on September 28, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on September 28, 2016, 08:21:25 PM

That in itself could prove an expensive challenge....
Well worth it though! , Only problem is if it was me I'd want to ride it not clean it and look at it , something a bit special about them
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Phil_8

You realize he said 10K budget, not 100K

As has been said before, you would have to look for something made in limited numbers. But that is risky, as too obscure and there would never be the demand or appeal for it to be considered an investment

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Phil_8

Some massive risks ive often considered before, but not gone through with are;

SachsB805
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sachs-B-805-Roadster-RARE-AND-STUNNING-BIKE-/222252945638?hash=item33bf4ed0e6:g:5goAAOSwAuZX3USq

An old Armstrong ex army scrambler

Original royal enfield woodman (or other similar variations such as post office?

The supermoto I cannot even remember the make or model of from the 90's. I think it was ccm? Came in an electric green, quite ugly, but kick started the supermoto craze at the time

...I would probably go for the obvious choice you have already mentioned though. Castrol SP-1 plus an RS250

Dom1

I think you are onto something with your AR50 if FS1E's are anything to go by.

What is the next generation of nostalgia?
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP