Timing chain stretched?

Started by DaveH, May 09, 2017, 08:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveH

Sadly the bolt, or more accurately, it's remains, are still thoroughly engaged with the frame. [emoji35] <br />
<br />
Took the ccw drills up to 7mm and no sign of budging. Then tried the easy outs... Snapped the T-bar handle... admittedly not an expensive one, then resorted top turning with a spanner, still no sign of movement [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji31] <br />
<br />
Managed to fit a hacksaw blade through the hole and tried cutting a couple of channels to try and break the integrity of the remains:no joy as yet. <br />
<br />
I am beginning to wonder if the bolt has been secured using permanent loctite at some point in its life.

DaveH

Finally able to get the bolt out after a trying both heat and freezer spray mid week. There was an identifiable line between the bolt and the frame, so some judicious hacksawing meant the the bolt could be broken and removed.

Was going to fit a helicoil but bottled it.

Threads didn't look too bad, so run the tap up them and fitted a slightly longer bolt and the threads took the torque, so fitted the engine and bike is now back on the road.

Now need to replace a fork seal that the recovery company burst by placing lateral force on the fork leg by strapping the lower leg to the side - but still the engine is sounding lovely and quiet :)

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Good work Dave, it sounds like an absolute ball ache but well done for persevering.

komp

KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Dom1

Top work, well exceeded my skill/mechanical bravery range there.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

DaveH

Cheers, guys

Not sure it was in my skill/mechanical bravery range  :shocked: did think I was heading down the replacement frame route until the bolt separated from the frame (just as cheap/easy as getting frame taken to a machine shop)

One thing though, if I ever had to do it again, I ignore the haynes manual and wouldn't undo half the wiring routing and just remove the sensors from the engine, or the connectors to anything that wont be (generator for instance).

DaveH

Fork seal replaced and oil renewed in the other one. Two more sheared bolts on the righthand mudguard mounts!!
Thankfully more straightforward to drill out and tap.