Ive Bought another ZXR.....Update page 4

Started by Bullet, July 15, 2013, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilby104

zxrob

Quote from: Nib on August 01, 2013, 10:48:02 PM
Any more pics of your zxr Rob? Looks beautiful.

Yes I have some more

I will put a new thread up showing the rebuild when I get time

Only just realised, the above pic is with my shitty baffled can and not the akra

Rob

Nat

That's so pretty - love the colour!
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Bullet

Quote from: Gilby104 on August 02, 2013, 10:02:25 AM
Quote from: greenmeeny on August 01, 2013, 03:30:54 PM
Stops the rear brake going round and round when used. ;)

Is that true?

yes, he's not winding you up   ;)   its called a torsion arm, its what they used before they thought of putting a slot in the back of the swingarm to hold the caliper hanger in place on newer bikes.....

Nat

Quote from: Bullet on August 02, 2013, 03:13:45 PM
yes, he's not winding you up   ;)   its called a torsion arm, its what they used before they thought of putting a slot in the back of the swingarm to hold the caliper hanger in place on newer bikes.....

I thought they just put it there to make putting the wheel back in a pain in the ar3e!
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Bullet

Quote from: Nat on August 02, 2013, 04:14:01 PM
I thought they just put it there to make putting the wheel back in a pain in the ar3e!

that too!

Bullet

Well its been a while since I actually made the deal, but I picked the bike up on saturday and it actually fired up after only about 15 seconds  :) bought a bunch of bits for it the first of which showed up today (zx7r rocker & dog bones) got a new cush drive in the post I have the fork seals and head bearings already though i do need to buy/make a seal driver and does anyone know of an easy way to get the existing head bearings off the lower yoke besides take them to a garage, because Im not paying £200 for a headstock bearing puller!

zxrob

Quote from: Bullet on October 09, 2013, 10:03:22 AM
does anyone know of an easy way to get the existing head bearings off the lower yoke besides take them to a garage, because Im not paying £200 for a headstock bearing puller!

Nick them very carefully with a small grinder, then, a quick few taps with a hammer will get them off

Rob

Bullet

Well the project has progressed a bit, tackled the fork seals without any of the special tools required...

spot the homemade tools, theres 2 of them in this photo.

easier than i thought it would be, but could have done with some extra hands to compress the spring!

new bearing (that I already had spare from my old bike) installed onto new lower yoke (that I also already had!) again no special tool needed for this job either, metalworking vice and a hammer did the job perfectly well.

got a replacement rocker arm and dog bones off a zx7r for a bargain price so after a strip and regrease the only other bit i need to mot it is a new cush drive, and thats in the post :)

clipper

Quote from: Bullet on October 31, 2013, 10:34:06 AM

spot the homemade tools, theres 2 of them in this photo.

I'm guessing fork oil gauge (top of plastic spray bottle) and head bearing drift (big round metal tube)

:cool:

Bullet

50% right  ;) spray bottle top is indeed an oil level tool! I did the head bearings using a metalworking vice and a hammer.

The other home made tool was this

3 layers of cardboard tube sliced down the side so I can clip them around the fork leg and use them as a seal driver, some questionable types seemed to think it was for inserting gerbils somewhere the dirty sods!

clipper

Quote from: Bullet on October 31, 2013, 01:20:35 PM
50% right  ;) spray bottle top is indeed an oil level tool! I did the head bearings using a metalworking vice and a hammer.

What do I win?   :tongue:

Quote from: Bullet on October 31, 2013, 01:20:35 PM
The other home made tool was 3 layers of cardboard tube sliced down the side so I can clip them around the fork leg and use them as a seal driver

For the same job I used some Wickes downpipe and wall clamp which was an amazing fork seal driver. I have since bought the official Kawasaki service tool but my bodged version works just as well and better than braying bloody hell out any seal with a screwdriver!
:laugh:

Bullet

Quote from: clipper on November 01, 2013, 12:39:21 PM

What do I win?   :tongue:

The respect of your fellow ninjas  :tongue:

Got the replacement cush drive in the post today, but found a few more jobs to do before its mot, need turn the brake lines round (theyve been put on upside down for some reason!) and it needs new spark plugs and fresh fuel, as it will start but missfires a bit and cuts out when trying to rev.... pretty sure new plugs will cure it as a remember my old one did the same thing when it had scabby spark plugs and it also used to eat them in about 4000 miles....

Bullet

Been a while since any updates, but its progressed alot in the last couple of weekends, rebuilt forks are on, new head bearings in, brakes stripped and rebuilt and fitted, rear suspension linkages replaced with newly rebuilt ones, carbs stripped cleaned and back on, infact the only thing left to do to have it ready for an mot is a cush drive, as i bought the wrong one on ebay apparently and it doesnt fit! I think ive got a zx7r one?!

Nib