Main Menu

New Keeper

Started by Alzo, August 31, 2018, 07:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alzo

I had an S1000R...went back to one...so that tells you my thoughts.
Haven't ridden a KTM 1290...not a twin man...so have no intention of ever buying one.
I respect we're all different...and I put the thread up to celebrate my new purchase...share in my joy.  :azn: :moto: :moto:

MOzZereLLa

I am sharing your joy. Just a little disappointed you went back to a bike you've had before. I always try to avoid that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Life is all about experiences.

Happy new bike day mate. You know I didn't mean any ill with my comment x
Significantly faster than you.....

DaveH

Do like the colour scheme :afro:

Wish many safe, happy miles on it, which, if keeping to form, will be a fair distance! [emoji41]

Is it still back of the bike moves forward...?

Alzo

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on September 02, 2018, 03:30:29 AM
I am sharing your joy. Just a little disappointed you went back to a bike you've had before. I always try to avoid that. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Life is all about experiences.

Didn't take it ill out...I tried the MT10....lots to like but fell short in too many departments...Speed Triple RS...I've had 4 Speed Triples...but latest is having some teething issues that left me cold.
On recent Euro Tour my Roomie had a KTM 1290GT...he was complaining about heat from rear cylinder a lot...and mid corner he felt the bike was vague...his words and he used to race bikes so knows a bit about feel and handling...so to sum up...going back to the revised S1000R was the right move for me...after yesterday I can feel the improvements over the old model almost immediately...but still retains all the positives of the older model...the 4 pot inline 4 suits me perfectly...BMW have it pulling from as little as 2k and just gets stronger and stronger....so when you feel there's no soul...I feel it has an abundance...and again I say it's great we all like different things.

Alzo

Quote from: DaveH on September 02, 2018, 06:54:23 AM
Do like the colour scheme :afro:

Wish many safe, happy miles on it, which, if keeping to form, will be a fair distance! [emoji41]

Is it still back of the bike moves forward...?
Cheers Dave... :rofl: :moto: :moto: :moto:

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Alzo on September 02, 2018, 07:10:04 AM
Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on September 02, 2018, 03:30:29 AM

Didn't take it ill out...I tried the MT10....lots to like but fell short in too many departments...Speed Triple RS...I've had 4 Speed Triples...but latest is having some teething issues that left me cold.
On recent Euro Tour my Roomie had a KTM 1290GT...he was complaining about heat from rear cylinder a lot...and mid corner he felt the bike was vague...his words and he used to race bikes so knows a bit about feel and handling...so to sum up...going back to the revised S1000R was the right move for me...after yesterday I can feel the improvements over the old model almost immediately...but still retains all the positives of the older model...the 4 pot inline 4 suits me perfectly...BMW have it pulling from as little as 2k and just gets stronger and stronger....so when you feel there's no soul...I feel it has an abundance...and again I say it's great we all like different things.

I got the impression from riding the 1290 that the GT with its extra weight and dimension changes was not a sensible direction change from the 1290R.  As a naked, its fine, but does feel a little heavier to turn in.  It does track corners nicely though and is very easy to "set" for the corner using just QS auto-blipper on down changes and slight braking to compliment.  I liked it, but wouldn't want to do massive miles on it.  If that's the not the same for you why not keep your previous bike and go back to the naked?  The big thing for either of those bikes is; does the bike warrant the horsepower.  I might suggest the answer is no which is why I liked the 790 so much.  That said, I still hanker after the lazy power the 1290R brings to the table (alongside a Diavel test-ride when I finally get home) so will look at one of those.

As you say - man, meat, poison..........
Significantly faster than you.....

Alzo

The horsepower comes in handy...it's great to delve in to now and then...better appreciated on the Autobanns of Germany right enough...but even here I prefer to have the reserve...can get you out of trouble as well as in it... :rofl:

terry950sm

My apologies.

Happy new bike

Yes the suspension on the GT can seem vague mid corner, but dealers are able to adjust the suspension through the new KTM software.

I have binned the orignal sports touring tyres to some sticky tyres. After a weekend ride the tyres have given more front end feel.
Growing old gracefully

Alzo

I never intended a comparison...purely on basis that all the modern bikes are so capable it comes down to preference...we all know what we like as individuals...the performance levels of all these bikes are superb too.
Having ridden a few bikes I know what I want...and an inline 4 engine seems to match what my brain percieves as correct...and to add to that the way the modern inline 4 operates means you have decent power all the way through the rev range...you no longer have to wait for the higher revs.
The chap with the KTM is delighted with his bike...the comments he made were during the Ferry ride home Post trip...and he was just summing up...we were all picking at the pros and cons of each machine...but he was very happy overall.