Superbike School / tuition

Started by Gilby104, February 04, 2015, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilby104

We're looking at buying a superbike school session for a mate for his Birthday. Ideally we are looking at getting something flexible / voucher based as he's a pretty busy chap and trying to pin down a weekend / day for him to do it without giving the surprise away is tricky. He's naturally a fairly nippy rider and pretty confident.

Have any of you guys got any experience / reviews / recommendations of any good superbike schools or similar / locations / deals etc? Would be keen to hear what type of thing you think we should go for. He is London based but will probably come up to Outlon without too much hassle.

Also does anyone know if we can do vouchers? I am happy to just google it - which I will inevitably do - but if anyone has actually done the same then that'd be useful to know about.

Cheers

Gilb

MOzZereLLa

Not many about now.  Either a trackday with tuition included with their instructors of the Ron Haslam school at Donny is supposed to be brilliant.
Significantly faster than you.....

Gilby104

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on February 04, 2015, 03:46:52 PM
Not many about now.  Either a trackday with tuition included with their instructors of the Ron Haslam school at Donny is supposed to be brilliant.

Cheers Moz, I think if we were going for a  track day we'd rather save the money on tuition and go with him to have a mess around. Will look at the Ron Haslam one (tried to open the website but there are pictures of bikes bloody everywhere so no good for an open plan office!)

came across the California Superbike School - they only seem to be in the country now and then - heard anything good about them?

Andy M

Ive done CSS, its pricey, but worthwhile but not sure I would recommend it for a birthday treat for an established quick rider.
think you need a trackday, with BBQ (might have to wait til summer?!) and load of beers after. or better find a 2 day event and camp over with your supplies etc.
most of the instructors can be ponced at trackdays for a few pointers in a much more relaxed format

Gilby104

Quote from: Andy M on February 04, 2015, 04:42:06 PM
Ive done CSS, its pricey, but worthwhile but not sure I would recommend it for a birthday treat for an established quick rider.
think you need a trackday, with BBQ (might have to wait til summer?!) and load of beers after. or better find a 2 day event and camp over with your supplies etc.
most of the instructors can be ponced at trackdays for a few pointers in a much more relaxed format

thanks Andy, why do you say it's not for a quick rider (he's not mega quick, just comfortably on track). Is it more for newbies?

Tuck

If you want a turn up and ride package it limits your options. If you just want to turn up and use the schools bikes the choices have in recent years been Ron Haslam, CSS and Chris Walker at Mallory. Dates for all of these and the amount of tracktime are more limited than a full trackday where you use your own bike and just book instruction.

The very best tuition is someone like Spike Edwards booked one on one but you need to arrange a trackday, then supply your own bike etc unless you hire from FE or on NL or MSV run events possibly use Smallboy trackbikes who's bikes are a little older but cheaper to hire and crash than FE's!

Simon Crafars Motovudu is as good as it gets but I don't think he does UK dates, Good excuse for a trip abroad though!

James Whitham also does training days and sells vouchers on jameswhitham.com but you need to sort or have your own machine.

Focused Events could likely put a package together which would include bike hire, trackday and instructor such as some 1 on 1 sessions with Neil Hodgson or a celeb rider of a similar calibre. Would all add up to a few bob if bike hire is required though.

Maddog

I had a day on track with Dave wood from DWR racing. (Ex BSB)

Like Tuck said, i arranged and paid for the TD for both of us plus the days fee for him. It was money well spent though as i went from novice group to fast group in the space of a day

MD

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Maddog on February 04, 2015, 11:49:36 PM

Like Tuck said, i arranged and paid for the TD for both of us plus the days fee for him. It was money well spent though as i went from novice group to fast group in the space of a day

MD

Dave Wood is a top bloke.
Significantly faster than you.....

Andy M

Quote from: Gilby104 on February 04, 2015, 04:56:01 PM
thanks Andy, why do you say it's not for a quick rider (he's not mega quick, just comfortably on track). Is it more for newbies?

no not at all, its just a system that requires going back to basics so to speak, a lot of concentration, attempting to ignore old habits and starting at a relatively slow speed before building back up. In the context of what you are after for a birthday 'do' not sure it is the best i.e. a trackday provides enjoyment without massive concentration.
The CSS experience I guess you have to be up for giving a go, and can also be a little dependant on the coach you get on the day and how well they are versed at dealing with customers. Part of the coaches job is to speak to you and challenge and probe with questions to get you to figure things out for yourself rather than simply telling you the whats and whys of what you are doing. All part of their system. That said, if you stick with it and work through the levels it provides a very good set of skills that can be used on any bike any track etc.
if you've got any specific questions let me know

David W

I enjoyed the CSS, but it's very much a school environment with a bit of track time thrown in.  It's not a hoon about and you spend most of the day using one gear and no brakes!

Gilby104

Thanks guys this is all massively helpful.

Andy, I don't think we are adverse to putting him back to school. It can be as a gift rather than a birthday bash so to speak.

I think it'll have to be him on his own bike, which it fine. Just weighing up whether we can get something for a sensible budget. My problem with booking instruction on a track day is that the additional money would be better spent booking the rest of us onto the trackday and having a hoon with him. If it was the school environment (which I think he'd enjoy) then we can spend the extra cash and just let him go on his own.

simon m

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on February 05, 2015, 08:30:53 AM
Quote from: Maddog on February 04, 2015, 11:49:36 PM

MD

I would also agree with this, sound bloke and from what I have heard a good tutor

Dave Wood is a top bloke.

mc101

Go book at day at the Haslam School, its a more "fun environment" than CSS imo. 

Do the premier in the morning and if budget permits Elite in the afternoon - its a great day out. Alot more intense once you get to the Elite and you'll be tripping over Haslam, Lowes, Palmer, Johnson in the afternoon in the Elite lounge.

The best option for progression is one of the highly regarded coaches - Mike Dickinson (SA Superbike champ), Mike Edwards (what hasnt he won on worldwide), Simon Crafar (GP and WSBK God - my personal fave coach), Dave Wood (Ex BSB Privateer), Neil Hodgeson and Jamie Witham -- for me the last two are more about the craic than developing the riding but hey ho - Witham had me in tears most the day and still worth the ££.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Gilby104

Quote from: mc101 on February 06, 2015, 09:56:40 AM

Do the premier in the morning and if budget permits Elite in the afternoon - its a great day out. Alot more intense once you get to the Elite and you'll be tripping over Haslam, Lowes, Palmer, Johnson in the afternoon in the Elite lounge.

The best option for progression is one of the highly regarded coaches - Mike Dickinson (SA Superbike champ), Mike Edwards (what hasnt he won on worldwide), Simon Crafar (GP and WSBK God - my personal fave coach), Dave Wood (Ex BSB Privateer), Neil Hodgeson and Jamie Witham -- for me the last two are more about the craic than developing the riding but hey ho - Witham had me in tears most the day and still worth the ££.

Perfect, thanks MC. They do gift vouchers as well!

Right, budget allows for one session really. My mate rides a 1098 normally but has had a CBR600RR which he loved, an still misses. He's naturally got a pretty good feel for bikes and going quick on them and thinks a lot about his body position etc - sort of bastard who had his knee down within a week of having his first sports bike.

On the flip side, when it comes to listening to instruction or advice he's not the brightest.

Which one would you pick for him MC, Premier or Elite?

mc101

Quote from: Gilby104 on February 06, 2015, 01:05:58 PM
Quote from: mc101 on February 06, 2015, 09:56:40 AM

Perfect, thanks MC. They do gift vouchers as well!

Right, budget allows for one session really. My mate rides a 1098 normally but has had a CBR600RR which he loved, an still misses. He's naturally got a pretty good feel for bikes and going quick on them and thinks a lot about his body position etc - sort of bastard who had his knee down within a week of having his first sports bike.

On the flip side, when it comes to listening to instruction or advice he's not the brightest.

Which one would you pick for him MC, Premier or Elite?

He cant do Elite unless he's previously attended a premier I'm afraid so in that respect he's gotta go through the process once at least.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)