Best buy....

Started by MOzZereLLa, February 05, 2018, 09:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOzZereLLa

Let's talk bikes. I still can't decide what to buy.

Have been thinking a number of things. Let's say wanting something original (not a Halfords shop window), decent to ride, has a bit of kudos about it, might be considered a "modern classic", may even not lose to much cash.

I've been looking at bikes from £2000 to £6000 inc

2003 Daytona 955i at £2k
2004 K4 thou at £3500
Ducati 749 Bip at £4k
2006 K6 thou at £5300
Ducati 999 mono at £6k

Like the idea of a Ducati - finding a decent one for the cash is hard.

Anything above missed. I've looked at ZX10Rs, Blades, R1s etc but not sure if these might have the "modern classic tag....
Significantly faster than you.....

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Blimey, the Sook thous are holding their money well.

Manic636

I've had a k4 thou and the k6, both superb but the k4 was more roomy for me but probably not an issue for you Moz. Great engine on both but I suspect you'll enjoy the k6 more.
The daytona is a really good road bike but ultimately not that quick, I liked mine and it was that I traded in for the k4 (well mine was an 07 955).
Not a major Ducati fan but everything I've heard and experienced with them suggests the 749 is more fun and more rewarding.

Alzo

Ducati...money pit...and rough...lumpy.

MOzZereLLa

I've had a K5/6 thou and loved it but they are holding their money for the few original spec ones with good mileage and history i can find.

I like the idea of a 749 / 999 as it won't be used that often, has half a chance of holding most of its value and I have one of the best Duke dealers in the country 10 mins from home.

The Daytona is the bike causing me most thinking time. £2k for a fairly tidy bike, with some history is very tempting. It won't be available to ride for a week or so as dealer needs to prep it. He's had it a year and has dropped the price £750 for me.

Lord Danoir the first

999's are on of my fave bikes to ride. I've ridden everything on your list (mostly on tracks).

I was surprised how well the 999 coped with my weight and how comfortable it felt when I used Dicko's on a TD at Oulton a few years ago.

I also think it looks fantastic, even next to a 916 (or Dicko's 996 in this case).

I'd have one in a beat. I think the only problem Dicko's had with his is a rusty tank internal. A mint replacement cost a fortune.

MOzZereLLa

I am tempted Dan i have to say.

Problem is, the best one I've found is yellow.....

Raydial

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on February 05, 2018, 12:55:34 PMProblem is, the best one I've found is yellow.....
How much to spray it the proper colour?  ;)

*green

Carbon_ZX6R

Only one of them I've owned is the 999 if you can accept the looks I'd buy it
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

terry950sm

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on February 05, 2018, 09:05:25 AM
Let's talk bikes. I still can't decide what to buy.

Have been thinking a number of things. Let's say wanting something original (not a Halfords shop window), decent to ride, has a bit of kudos about it, might be considered a "modern classic", may even not lose to much cash.

I've been looking at bikes from £2000 to £6000 inc

2003 Daytona 955i at £2k
2004 K4 thou at £3500
Ducati 749 Bip at £4k
2006 K6 thou at £5300
Ducati 999 mono at £6k

Like the idea of a Ducati - finding a decent one for the cash is hard.

Anything above missed. I've looked at ZX10Rs, Blades, R1s etc but not sure if these might have the "modern classic tag....

I reckon you will fool all of us and buy something that is not on your list.  :laugh:
Growing old gracefully

Thegodfather

I've had a 999. Loved it and was ultra reliable, though I found it excruciatingly painful in the shoulders on the road. Dury's out on a future classic, 90% of ducatitas don't seem to like the look of them.

I have a 2000 955i and it would be last on my list of yours you've posted. It just doesn't float my boat. Bought it 2,1/2 years ago to do some touring and I've done 250miles on it. I'd offer it to you but I know it won't be to the standard you'd be wanting  ;)

Phil_8

I love the 999, would very much like one

In terms of litre sportbikes...very few I think will ever become classics or even be considered modern classic. I think the closesed will be the obvious one, Ducati 999 or Castrol coloured SP-2 which im surprised hasn't been mentioned yet

Phil_8

I think youve had one before, but limited edition RC8 would likely reach classic status and at least hold value

Thegodfather

Quote from: Phil_8 on February 09, 2018, 11:31:26 AM
I think youve had one before, but limited edition RC8 would likely reach classic status and at least hold value

Not sure if that's aimed at me or Moz.
But yes I've had 4 RC'8s inc a Ltd. Guy in Guernsey is selling a Ltd Red Bull and want 20K + vat. I think that's very optimistic. I reckon I'll have one again at some point in my lifetime.

MOzZereLLa

Leaning towards a cheap 955i at the moment. Need something road friendly and not to harsh on the wallet.