Sportsbikes no more.

Started by Alzo, March 26, 2018, 07:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alzo

I know it has been spoken about before...but yesterday I had the first decent outting on the bike...and I only saw 2 Sportsbikes the whole day...and I did see loads of bikes. The Adventure market is definitely the category of choice with Naked and Sports Tourers right behind.
A shift has taken hold.

MOzZereLLa

I rode the 749 for the first time yesterday.

Loved it - not that quick, front brakes need to be a little less "lever travel" to be good for me and it's actually quite peaky going well in the upper Rev range. It was a little achy though.

My local KTM dealer called me today and offered me a test ride on a 790. Very tempted!!!
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

Other than the drool factor, I don't miss sports bikes.

Think I'm getting old as my main priority when considering bikes these days is capacity for luggage, good power and cruise control.

Kitb4460

I agree with you.

Age thing ?

Noticed it on Saturday , me and my other half took a drive up to Ainstruther for lunch.

Very few sportsbikes. Lots of Adventure style bikes , mostly Beemers , one or two various other manufacturers.
Retired Rozzer and loving it.

Alzo

Quote from: Jarse on March 26, 2018, 03:07:09 PM
Other than the drool factor, I don't miss sports bikes.

Think I'm getting old as my main priority when considering bikes these days is capacity for luggage, good power and cruise control.
Heated Grips and Cruise Control are my must have items. Oh how things change... :rofl:

Alzo

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on March 26, 2018, 02:58:42 PM
I rode the 749 for the first time yesterday.

Loved it - not that quick, front brakes need to be a little less "lever travel" to be good for me and it's actually quite peaky going well in the upper Rev range. It was a little achy though.

My local KTM dealer called me today and offered me a test ride on a 790. Very tempted!!!
The riding position alone is enough to buy the KTM.  :laugh: :cool:

coop

Probably only see 5% sportsbikes at SQ now. All Harleys, adventure, classic or custom bobbers. Sportsbikes just not cool any more.
:grin:

Alzo

We're blessed that we can have our cake and eat it...bikes like the S1000XR have Sportsbike performance with Adventure comfort.
It's all good in my book.

coop

The sad thing is there are very few young boys on bikes.

Alzo

It seems a very long route to get a bike licence these days...so much so it must be very off putting for anyone now.

terry950sm

Not had a sportsbike for years.

The good thing is most sit up/adventure bikes are as good as a sportbike on the twisties.
Growing old gracefully

CBr6y

Must still be a market for them though, especially the older ones, as they are now appear to be going up in value (should have hung on to my old bike - it's still on the road somewhere)

My godson is into older bikes and cars, and has been making some decent money from it in recent years, values definitely increasing now.

In saying that, it's definitely an age thing, there is not a cat in hells chance I could ride my old bike now, body wouldn't let me  :shocked: but I still miss it in a funny sort of way!
CB1000R

Phil_8

Give it time.
Hipsters will soon move to sportsbikes as they realize they are obscure choice of bike

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: Phil_8 on March 27, 2018, 08:50:34 AM
Give it time.
Hipsters will soon move to sportsbikes as they realize they are obscure choice of bike

They already have  :afro:. The amount of interest my 749 got at an Easter egg stop-off on a Sunday was huge.
Significantly faster than you.....

komp

as i work opposite colchester kawasaki I still see plenty of them
although would agree non-sports bikes certainly out number them

still have my 899 and no plans to replace just yet
although is now just used for fun, ktm does the long distance stuff

lots of kiddies round our way on 125's and L plates
I wonder how many graduate to larger machines though?
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T