Car audio guru's

Started by Lord Danoir the first, August 01, 2014, 12:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Danoir the first

So my Lotus has the original head unit and speakers but sounds terrible, which is probably old knackered speakers/wires or the in built amp is shot.

The speakers are concealed behind the door cards are pretty standard 6 x 4 speakers which I'll replace like for like.

I want to keep the head unit in place for originality and bypass it so that I can have a discreet lead to connect my iphone to and play music through that.

I'm assuming some kind of small amp? Or is there a better way?

To be clear, I'm not looking for top spec ICE and I have no intention of modifying anything as the car is totally original inside.......

dannyboy

Iv'e got a XCarLink, it's a great little box and is accessible as a CD changer.  Work's very well, plays from iPhone charging socket (and charges phone), but you can also put an SD card into the device so you can play music without your phone.

Obviously Lotus isn't listed, but if you know who makes your OEM head unit, they might do a addon.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php

Oh and also gives you handfree with a mic....  Also the phone audio (inc satnav) comes through the car speakers.

David W

I think you can buy iPod input boxes that will fit pretty much anything.  Might even get one that charges it too.

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: dannyboy on August 01, 2014, 12:41:37 PM

Obviously Lotus isn't listed, but if you know who makes your OEM head unit, they might do a addon.

1979 Clarion?

David W

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

m6rk

hit me up ol' boy.. i've done a fair bit of in car stuffs.. even reggie approved..

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: m6rk on August 01, 2014, 06:15:51 PM
hit me up ol' boy.. i've done a fair bit of in car stuffs.. even reggie approved..

I basically want to bypass the old Clarion head unit, leave it in place looking awesome and have a discreet lead to plug my piephone in and play the moozic through the speakers.

Savvy?

m6rk

you want to control the volume using the clarion too? or just have it there for show?

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: m6rk on August 01, 2014, 06:25:15 PM
you want to control the volume using the clarion too? or just have it there for show?

that would be nice but the volume button on the clarion is very crackly.

I suppose I could send it off for repair?

Brian

Replacement head unit (of the correct vintage) might be plausible..?
If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning.

Lord Danoir the first

Nah Bri Bri..... it's got to be this unit, it's what came with the car

David W

Could you not fit something newer in a centre console or glove box?

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on August 01, 2014, 07:34:42 PM
Nah Bri Bri..... it's got to be this unit, it's what came with the car
has it got the original tyres? nooooo then stop being a dam woman and modernize

or search ebay for an identical unit or just have your repaired
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods