Achtung BWM here we come

Started by Thegodfather, March 17, 2019, 03:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegodfather

I was planning to wait but after having tentative talks with the dealer yesterday I took the plunge.

No bikes in the country till end of June and I'm in no rush, September would suite me anyway.

Went for the M Sport version. Only extras I added were crash protection, rad guard and data logger, as I believe that gives you GPS for the lap times on dash but even dealer couldn't confirm that or how much it was.

Alzo

Sweet. Congratulations...an amazing looking bike...and will no doubt go as well as it looks.

Congratulations. You will be itching at the bit by June though.

David W

I was looking at those at Excel.   If I was after a hyper-bike that's where my money would go.  The electronics in the dash is friggin' bonkers.

MOzZereLLa

Trackbike GF???

The road plastics are ropey as fuck. Felt like you could snap sections out of the fairing between two fingers with minimal effort.

Not a fan personally. BMW quality is very poor.
Significantly faster than you.....

Thegodfather

Yes Moz I only ride on track nowadays.

That's a shame to here about the build quality I'd expect more from them.
I've not even seen one let alone sit on it to see for myself.

I don't bother with track fairings anymore but I might have to if they are that fragile  :cry:
I do wonder how I'd get on with a standard can, because there's no bellypan so to speak with the standard fairings, So how well a track one would fit.

Alzo

Quote from: Thegodfather on March 17, 2019, 08:09:09 PM

I don't bother with track fairings anymore but I might have to if they are that fragile  :cry:
I do wonder how I'd get on with a standard can, because there's no bellypan so to speak with the standard fairings, So how well a track one would fit.
The quality will be on par with any other manufacturer of litre Sportsbikes of our era. We wanted faster and lighter and that's what we get...thinner lighter plastics...the chassis and engine are being praised universally.

Thegodfather

Quote from: Alzo on March 17, 2019, 08:13:04 PM

The quality will be on par with any other manufacturer of litre Sportsbikes of our era. We wanted faster and lighter and that's what we get...thinner lighter plastics...the chassis and engine are being praised universally.

And that's exactly why my money's going on one  :moto:

Alzo

Quote from: Thegodfather on March 17, 2019, 08:21:28 PM
Quote from: Alzo on March 17, 2019, 08:13:04 PM

And that's exactly why my money's going on one  :moto:
And well done you...the current bike is impressive...we can assume a fair incremental increase on that...so it will be immense.

MOzZereLLa

I was 99% certain it would be a trackbike hence not holding back. Thankfully I got it right....

The bike is absolutely epic of that I have no doubt, but I was astounded at the NEC how flimsy and "plasticky" it was. Sorry Alzo but just saying it how i saw it. Very disappointing for anyone wanting to use one as a road bike.

None of the other Superbikes were as poor. The V4 Pani was much better finished as were all the other superbikes I looked at. Sorry mate, but coupled with your switchgear problems and large numbers of complaints about BMW quality online considering the quality of their cars their bikes leave a lot to be desired it would seem.

That aside, I'm sure it will be a total weapon.

David W

I'm always a bit wary of online reviews and issues.  Its only people with a problem that make the noise, and half a dozen people complaining (with a genuine complaint no doubt) against a production run of tens of thousands is fuck all statistically.

MOzZereLLa

This is obviously also true.

I've seen lots of people pissed with shitty switchgear with BMWs. That moulds my opinion.

I meant no offence by my ramblings.

Thegodfather

None taken. I've had a few new bikes in my time now and had slight issues with all. Hence I was going to wait, especially as it's a new bike from ground up.
I'm dead against anything Italian now from my experience with the MV and the dealer to the factory. And the Ducati V4 just had so many problems that they are unable to resolve from what I've witnessed, not just heard.
My Suzuki plastics aren't the best either but like Alzo says probably a sign of the times. The best body work I've ever had on any bike is the RC8's don't know if all their models are as good.
Edit,,,apart from the plastic tank that deforms if left off bike for more than 10 mins, and I had a replacement one as the paint bubbled from reacting to the fuel 🤣🤣

Alzo

Switchgear has been an issue on all my BMWs...and therein lies a tale...all...which means despite this I went back for more...why????...because when all my BMW models worked they did so with aplomb...2 x S1
000Rs...epic...1 x S1000XR...epic...1 x GS...epic...handing...brakes...engine...all over performance is outstanding...so a few new switches is a small price to pay...however I believe even this has been addressed with a change of supplier...I loved my Triumphs...but I have to say my current S1000R is "FOR ME" the best bike I have ever ridden...in raw riding terms I cannot think of any area it needs improvement.
I'm going to suggest you will feel the same when your mighty S1000RR is under your scrotum...enjoy...don't listen to Moz...he rides a Twin Tub and we all know they are not PROPER bikes.