Head gasket?

Started by Maddog, May 04, 2018, 03:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

Is replacing a head gasket on a bike a big job for a competent DIY mechanic or is it a garage job? The engine will be in the bike.

Any tests that can be done to make sure it is a head gasket? Ive checked the oil filler cap and its good.

Lord Danoir the first

Depends where the breach is as to what the symptoms are......

water jacket to oil jacket = mayonnaise
oil jacket to combustion chamber = poor running and blue smoke
etc

google search for various ways to test..... the symptoms can be subtle.

technically speaking a HG change is a piece of piss but if you don't do it right and thoroughly, you're wasting your time and that means being methodical, ultra clean, OCD with the torque settings and sequences and making sure the head and bottom end are straight....... the latter may need professional help.

If you do a quick day swap over, you might get lucky with a car engine.... a bike engine will shit itself within a nanosecond.

Can't comment on the engine in/out as it depends on the bike I suppose.

Maddog

Cheers Lord D

The filler cap is clear, and there is no blue smoke and it runs ok. There are no bubbles in the coolant either.

Ive noticed the coolant dropped the other day by a small amount, so topped it up. Today it had dropped to the level it was the day before hence me thinking head gasket.

I cant see any obvious leaks. I will do a compression test and see what the results are!

Green_Ninja

you say you will do it engine in frame, what bike is it as on many bikes you can't lift the head off with the engine in the frame as there just isn't enough clearance.

Carbon_ZX6R

It's easy enough with a Haynes , just takes patience
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Maddog

Im hoping theres a tiny leak i cant see! I will find out next week. Cheers for the replies lads

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Maddog on May 05, 2018, 05:59:37 PM
Im hoping theres a tiny leak i cant see! I will find out next week. Cheers for the replies lads
I'd out my money on a leak , it's happend to me before
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods