CB750 urban scrambler

Started by Raydial, December 24, 2013, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dq

Looking good Ray, been watching this thread. Love things like this, bit of tinkering and the like.

With regards to the muppet moment, I did the same last year with the MV...... changing the oil, you have to flip the sidestand up to get at the sump bolt.

20 minutes later I had forgotten it wasnt down when I took it off the paddock stand.... I had the foresight to take the fairings off though.

Raydial

So yesterday, after getting the loop fitted, I filed down the weld, and ground and filed off some other lugs to tidy it all up. Then I sprayed it.

I gave it another coat of frame paint today and fitted the mudguard. I fabricated the brackets for it out of a pair of ice tongs from the pound shop.  :laughing7:

Then it started raining...  :(

The mudguard doesn't look straight in this picture. I'll have to take a look at that to see if it's actually squint or if it's just a trick of the light. I thought it was straight when I fitted it.

I think I might have enough room above the mudguard for a shallow tray for the electrics.  :dontknow:

And I remembered to lift the side stand when wheeling it back to the parking bay this time! :rofl:

DaveH

Ice tongs needed for a very cool bike ;-)

Raydial

Quote from: DaveH on March 02, 2014, 06:42:06 PM
Ice tongs needed for a very cool bike ;-)
:rofl:

My tasks for next weekend are to hook up the lights, finding somewhere to locate the fuses and other electronics in the process. Then I have to build a seat. So, not much! :laughing7:

I hope it doesn't rain!  :toothy2:

Alzo

Can I suggest something...just a thought...how about...*drum roll*...

give it a wash... :moto:

DaveH

Quote from: Alzo on March 02, 2014, 08:35:53 PM
Can I suggest something...just a thought...how about...*drum roll*...

give it a wash... :moto:
:lol:

Not a belly pan then? ;-)

Raydial

Surely you know by now that I don't wash bikes...  :tongue:

MOzZereLLa

What are your plans for the front end? The upside down radial forks on that maroon one on Facebook look lovely.
Significantly faster than you.....

Raydial

Quote from: MOz on March 02, 2014, 09:19:13 PM
What are your plans for the front end? The upside down radial forks on that maroon one on Facebook look lovely.
Don't they? That bike's gorgeous! I'd love to.  :cool:

Classified Moto do a triple tree conversion but it's a bit pricey for me at $485 plus shipping. At least for now. Further down the line I might do it. I don't have the technical know-how to do it myself.
http://classifiedmoto.bigcartel.com/product/classified-moto-triple-tree-swap

Otherwise, I have some Renthal low bars waiting to go on, with brown gum grips. I'll get smaller mirrors, maybe bar-end mounted. And I'm planning to put on a speedo headlight.

I'm thinking of going for this speedo/tacho. It's not the prettiest but the headlight bucket only has space for one dial and I don't want to give up a rev counter.

Raydial

There, that'll do...

Green_Ninja

Dom1

World's Fastest Ironing Board?
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Raydial

A couple of weeks ago, I made the base for the seat and added the rear light that you can see in the photo above and a number plate hanger. This was it before I added the second bracket and glued the various bits together.

Today, I added the indicators.

And then I added the foam to the seat base. It was looking a lot thicker than I expected.

The next step, of course, was to cover the seat and then add the number plate. I'm using the original seat latch to secure the seat in place at the back. So I can reach behind an indicator, pull the latch and get easy access to the fuses under the seat. I went slightly smaller than standard with the number plate. Hopefully, I won't get any hassle for it. With the slimmed down rear end even 8" x 6" looks big.

I'm not happy with the seat. There's too much of a gap between the seat and the tank, the foam's too soft and it's too tall, although I'm getting used to the height a bit. I'll contact a couple of pro seat builders to see what they can do, and for how much.

Then I gave her a wash just to please Alzo.  ;)

I took her out for a short shake-down run and it all seems to be good for tomorrow's Boxhill rideout. She looks a bit Mad Max-esque from this angle. :rofl:

I didn't put the side pods back on because they wouldn't look right with this seat, I think. And one of them needs a repair. I might put oval number boards on until I get pod filters.

Speaking of filters, I replaced the air filter and there was some oil in the airbox. So that, along with smoky running at high revs makes me think the piston rings are shot. Ah, well. A rebuild may be on the cards...   :undecided:

Jarse

Tony Archer is your man for seats.

Great work though Ray.

DaveH