Sporty touring tyres ....

Started by monkeyb0b, August 01, 2013, 02:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyb0b

Am bored of putting tyres on my R1 now, am about 500 miles from my rear tyre being finished which will be my 3rd in 12 months :rolleyes:.

Got BT016 Pros on at the moment which have been great in the hot weather but dont last .... and the other 350 days struggle with the wet

So thinking of going to a sports touring tyre. Have whittled it down to (probably in this order too):

Pilot Road 3's
Dunlop Roadsmart 2's
Pirelli Angel GTs (which I know nothing about atall)

Wondered if folks have had any experience of the above on a sportsbike. I vaguely remember folks running  BT023s (which have had on other bikes an not been a huge fan) on blades \ 10Rs so any input greatfully taken

:cool:

DaveE

+1 for 023's

Scotland trip, two track days and some commuting and still only half worn!

I'm too tight to get softer rubber and these are more than enough for me  :)

DaveE

Mallory last friday, sorry couldn't resist!!

:)

big gav

Pilot Road 3's. 8500miles out the rear on my ZX10R including 2 trackdays.

Martin#30

Another vote for PR3s for me. Astonishing wet-grip, as good as any other road tyre in the dry, and 3 sets have lasted 9,000 miles each on my 300kg commuter that sits vertical on the motorways for a lot of its time.

I decided to try the Angel GTs this time for a change - dry grip is fine, wet grip not as good as the PR3s, but they do look like they might last even longer.

Back to PR3s for me next time. Only downside is they do seem a little more susceptible to picking up puntures in my experience. I have had to repair two rears out of three, but this may have been simply unlucky.

Martin.
Wiltshire based, bit of a trackday addict, ex racer with North Glos, commuting on a 1400GTR and riding round in circles on a wheelbarrow ZX10R.

big gav

Aye Road 3's are awesome esp in the wet  :afro:

m6rk

bt023 have done me well commuting on the 1050 and a very spirited ride round frogland

monkeyb0b

Cheers folks, have decided to go with the PR3s, bikes booked in on my next day off work

monkeyb0b

Done a few 100 miles now, cracking tyre, apart from the trip back from the garage it's been dry when I have been out so haven't tested wet grip yet. I think they have improved the ride quality of the bike a bit too which is a bonus.

:cool:

Bournetoride

I like PR3 in the wet or cold conditions but they wear strange patterns then feel shit when its wet and really cold (365 commuter on zx6)
So I fit Sport smart or Qualifier2 for summer commuting
For sports touring on my zx9 I prefer diablo Rossi corsa, never short of grip and still works when wet and not cold

Alzo

Just fitted Pilot 4's to the Speed R...feel pretty bloody good so far.

Carbon_ZX6R

Ive used road angels (even on track) its a very good all round tyre
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Bournetoride

Quote from: Alzo on September 27, 2014, 08:20:46 AM
I would be interested to know how they wear, the tread pattern has changed quite a bit from PR3 and I suspect its to improve its shape when worn

Green_Ninja

I've had Bridgstone T30's on the Street for about 4000 miles and 4 or 5 trackdays and never had any issues or felt they lacked in grip even when really hooning round Donigton last July  :azn:.
Modern Sports touring tyres are all the tyre you need unless you are actually racing.

Alzo

Quote from: Bournetoride on September 27, 2014, 12:44:16 PM
Quote from: Alzo on September 27, 2014, 08:20:46 AM
I would be interested to know how they wear, the tread pattern has changed quite a bit from PR3 and I suspect its to improve its shape when worn
A couple of lads me and Green Ninja know are running BMWS1000rr's on them....real happy with grip and wear so far...the tread pattern is more to do with rain water dispersion...I pushed them today harder than previous...and I am delighted with the feed back and the way the bike flicks from side to side....so far so good.