Lids

Started by 1-600-matt, March 16, 2014, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-600-matt

I have had my arai for 9 yrs and noticed the other day it was actually manufactured in 2003!! Time for a new lid.
Has anyone had an arai and changed to another brand and found it equally as comfy etc as the arai? Looking at the sharp ratings it's possible to get a better rated lid for a lot less money and I am considering a change... Anyone else made the change from arai to ANother??

Stuno1

Nexx xr1r from viper gp.

Love the nexx.
[/

Tucker Hauser

I just tend to try as many as possible on! All about the fit for me has to be perfect! That has tended to be shoei, but some of the shark lids are a good fit too. The top of the range shark lid doesn't fit me but the lower s700 model does!
Like it to have 4stars on the sharp tests too but every crash is different they are just a guide in my opinion!

1-600-matt

I love the fit of the arai, but I have tried other lids on which I thought were comfy. It's things like how well the vents work, does the visor seal, does it wear well... Stuff you don't know until you live with it for a couple of years. I don't wanna buy a lid at half the price of an arai to find out it's half the price cos it's shit... Even though it gets a slightly better rating purely based on safety. At the same time I don't wanna drop an extra £300 for an arai if there is something as good available at half the price

Jonesy

I've always found going anywhere away from Shoei or Arai, its not the quality of the lid but the noise levels increase substantially.

Jarse

Quote from: Jonesy on March 17, 2014, 06:55:11 AM
I've always found going anywhere away from Shoei or Arai, its not the quality of the lid but the noise levels increase substantially.

I would maybe add AGV to the list but would personally stick to Shoei and Arai too.

Stuno1

Agree with this. May be as comfy but won't be as well made. My nexx is great and full carbon but not as well made as my arai.
[/

Gobert

The top of the range Arai's are VERY noisy..........

m6rk

the race rep top of the line lids tend to me more noisy, but i've tried other lids and it just seem to be what fits you head best is the one to go for..

for me shoei xr1100's fit well and have good build quality. I also have a carbon LS2 which was super cheap and fits me well, though the visor mech and general build quality isn't up to the ls2..

ash

I have a HJC/AGV shaped head. Couldn't get on with Arai or Shoei at all. Good fit ranks way above the brand.

big gav

Quote from: Gobert on March 17, 2014, 09:20:22 AM

I disagree with that. My RX7 GP isn't noisy.

Gobert

Quote from: big gav on March 17, 2014, 01:25:04 PM
Quote from: Gobert on March 17, 2014, 09:20:22 AM

I disagree with that. My RX7 GP isn't noisy.

Mine is...........

I've got a RX7 GP, RX7 Corsair and a Quantum F - the Quantum is by far the quietest.

Maddog

Just got a NEXX XR2 in matt black. Not tested it yet so no idea on noise

http://youtu.be/nDzIqOTywNk

1-600-matt

So far it seems like build quality and noise are the differences, no one who can say a cheaper alternative that is as good as an arai.
As it's gonna be used mostly for trackday, wind noise isn't a major concern.
In terms of build quality, are there any specific issues? Bits breaking etc or is it just in general how well visor clips in, is free to move, how the vents function etc?

Cheers for opinions

Tucker Hauser

Have Arai's improved the visor changing method?