Front caliper stuck pistons

Started by Roppa6r, March 12, 2017, 07:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roppa6r

I have aproblem with my 6 pot front calipers, I'm in the middle of refurbing them and I'm trying to get the pistons out and thought it would be easier to remove them with the calipers split. After trying ton get them out I have put them back together and rigged the brake lever up in the vice to push them out so far but not too far so they popped and I lost which postion they came from so had to cable tie some in order to free the rest. The problem is now I've split them again to remove the pistons but some of them have jammed up again. Does anyone have any ideas on getting them out.

Maddog

What i did on Brembos for the car, put them back together and stick some wood where the disc/pads go that will allow them almost fully out, then stick and air line in where the brake line would have gone and use the air to push them out. A foot pump worked for me  :moto:

If youre not too sure, id pay someone to do it for you as the brakes are pretty important   :police:

komp

obviously depends on how stuck they are
but when i did the same i bought some of those reverse pliers (i think they are called bow opening pliers)
that expand outwards when you squeeze, so i was able to pull out from inside with a bit of wiggling about and didnt damage pots
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

1-600-matt

You were on the right lines. Just bolt them together and repeat as before but allow them to come out further

Roppa6r

Thanks for the replies, I took them to the same guy who does my MOT, he put a bit of heta on the and pulled them out and charged me a fiver,