Wets on damp/drying track?

Started by Maddog, June 25, 2014, 04:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

How good are wets on track in damp/drying conditions? Im doing Snetterton this saturday and the forecast is rain. Ive got a set of wets in the garage ready to fit but if the track dries out how dodgy are they? Im in inters and wont be pushing to hard especially if its wet

Cheers

MD

Carbon_ZX6R

well they wont last long to put it lightly.....
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Maddog

Carbon, is that based on experience or from watching racing on tv? Ive seen most bsb races and the tyres are shot within a few laps in drying conditions but ill be pushing no where near as hard as im crap lol . The other option is to use the Dunlop D212 in the wet??

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: Maddog on June 25, 2014, 04:25:49 PM
Carbon, is that based on experience or from watching racing on tv? Ive seen most bsb races and the tyres are shot within a few laps in drying conditions but ill be pushing no where near as hard as im crap lol . The other option is to use the Dunlop D212 in the wet??

If you're not pushing hard, why not use a road tyre?

Carbon_ZX6R

its from experience I wrecked a set of racetec wets on track they was brand new on cant remember how many laps I did but it wasn't many with it too dry but there was nothing left of them when I noticed and came in

if your not pushing hard then you don't really need wets a decent "trackday tyre" will more than do
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Maddog

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on June 25, 2014, 04:34:28 PM
Quote from: Maddog on June 25, 2014, 04:25:49 PM

If you're not pushing hard, why not use a road tyre?

Id rather give myself the best chance of staying on the tarmac. If the wets will do that id rather go with them. Ive used Diablo corsas at a wet silverstone and i was all over the place and almost hit the deck a few times

Carbon_ZX6R

a lot of that is down to experience you may have just been pushing to hard in the long race if the track is "wet" then they are a good idea but if its only damp they may be overkill depending on your ability
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gobert

Once there is no spray coming off the track then wets will cut up fast. They are not really designed for damp tracks.

Martin#30

In my experience with my 10R, a front wet will last 5-6 laps OK in the damp/drying conditions. The rear will not last 2 laps before the hard tread edges (that provide a lot of the grip in full wet conditions) are destroyed.

Wets will still grip superbly in these conditions, but you will ruin the tyres very quickly. They will also move around a little more, which may be dis-concerting.

Sticky road tyres like the D212GPs also work surprisingly well in the damp, *providing* the tyre is still hot. I get 2 or 3 magnificent laps on them straight off the tyre warmers, but even at middle fast group pace, I cannot keep the heat in them and the grip fades.

Martin.
Wiltshire based, bit of a trackday addict, ex racer with North Glos, commuting on a 1400GTR and riding round in circles on a wheelbarrow ZX10R.

Maddog

So based on the weather predicted for saturday...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637582

what would you use?

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Maddog on June 26, 2014, 03:06:32 PM
So based on the weather predicted for saturday...... http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637582

what would you use?
I would have slicks on and wets ready to be fitted if needed but I think your better off with a road going tyre
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

mc101

Quote from: Maddog on June 26, 2014, 03:06:32 PM

what would you use?

Your basing the tyre choice for the circuit 3 days away based on a weather forecast?

Be there, look at track, make choice.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Carbon_ZX6R

what tyres have you actually  got and how many sets of wheels do you have?
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Maddog

1 set of wheels with the 212GPs fitted and a set of wets to fit

Carbon_ZX6R

if you cant quickly swap out the wheels you wont be wanting wets on there
2004 ZX-6R B1H