New Z900 on the way?

Started by Raydial, July 17, 2017, 01:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raydial

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on July 18, 2017, 12:06:52 PM
Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on July 18, 2017, 11:06:24 AM

This Z900 is different, it's a throwback, it's emotive. I loved the original and remember that my dad did too. It looks great and it's got modern kit on it so I know it'll be fun to ride but the looks alone are a good reason to own one for me.

It is a throwback and will ultimately only really appeal to the older generation which is a shame as I think the manufacturers should be looking to get new blood in. Look around any bike haunt/shop, and the demographic is only getting older.
Any manufacture needs to appeal to a broad range of consumers. They have to have stuff for the spotty teenagers, stuff for the older riders who want to cruise across continents, and something for those who like something a bit retro, like this. They have the W800 for those who want something that takes its inspiration from old British bikes. But I'll be glad if Kawasaki do actually release this as it draws on their own heritage and has a bit of a sportier slant than the W800.

PJ

I like it, but I suspect people will immediately compare it with the Street Triple and use that as a benchmark to pick fault with it.

Raydial

Quote from: PJ on July 18, 2017, 12:21:52 PM
I like it, but I suspect people will immediately compare it with the Street Triple and use that as a benchmark to pick fault with it.
I reckon the better comparison is with the Street Twin. This will interest people who want a bike with a retro feel to it. The Street Triple definitely isn't retro.

PJ

Quote from: Raydial on July 18, 2017, 12:28:36 PM
Quote from: PJ on July 18, 2017, 12:21:52 PM
I reckon the better comparison is with the Street Twin. This will interest people who want a bike with a retro feel to it. The Street Triple definitely isn't retro.

Fair point Ray!

David W

This Z900 is different, it's a throwback, it's emotive. I loved the original and remember that my dad did too. It looks great and it's got modern kit on it so I know it'll be fun to ride but the looks alone are a good reason to own one for me.

It is a throwback and will ultimately only really appeal to the older generation which is a shame as I think the manufacturers should be looking to get new blood in. Look around any bike haunt/shop, and the demographic is only getting older.

All bike manufacturers seem to want to do now is get people onto their 'big' bikes.  Look at the garbage being peddled as 'sports middleweight' now.  Asthmatic twins in half a fairing party-frocks.  Awful.  No wonder typical teens aren't exactly salivating at the prospect of jumping through the current licencing hoops to get their mitts on one!

Jarse

Quote from: Raydial on July 18, 2017, 12:14:06 PM

Any manufacture needs to appeal to a broad range of consumers. They have to have stuff for the spotty teenagers, stuff for the older riders who want to cruise across continents, and something for those who like something a bit retro, like this. They have the W800 for those who want something that takes its inspiration from old British bikes. But I'll be glad if Kawasaki do actually release this as it draws on their own heritage and has a bit of a sportier slant than the W800.

I don't think, emphasise think, the W800 is Euro 4 compliant.

Alzo

Looks good. Limited audience. Late to the party...these are the thoughts that popped in to my head.

Raydial

Quote from: Alzo on July 19, 2017, 05:59:27 AM
Looks good. Limited audience. Late to the party...these are the thoughts that popped in to my head.
Being late to the party isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you learn from the successes and failures of those who went before you.

Alzo

Quote from: Raydial on July 19, 2017, 09:55:20 AM
Quote from: Alzo on July 19, 2017, 05:59:27 AM
Being late to the party isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you learn from the successes and failures of those who went before you.
Or they've missed the limited audience.

Raydial

Yeah, well that depends on how long it takes for fashions and tastes to change. I've a feeling we're at, or close to, peak retro right now. I think we might start to see a shift towards slightly more aggressive-looking custom machines. But that might be just my own personal taste. There's been a definite move towards flat trackers rather than brat-style and café racers in the last year or so.

Jarse

Do you think that is the same market Ray?  I'm not sure "built" bikes and modern retro's have the same customer base.

Raydial

True. I'm paying more attention to the built bikes. But they have to start with something as a base.

Alzo

Nakeds...Adventure...and Retros are the way the market is shifting...I even see a massive Harley base now. Make no mistake...I hope Kawasaki do release the bike and have good success with the model...but I think it will need to be a bit special to rise above or compete with the current offerings.

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: Alzo on July 19, 2017, 11:58:46 AM
Nakeds...Adventure...and Retros are the way the market is shifting...I even see a massive Harley base now. Make no mistake...I hope Kawasaki do release the bike and have good success with the model...but I think it will need to be a bit special to rise above or compete with the current offerings.

Style is key, the Trumpet Bobber proves that. Apparently selling like hot cakes, but broadly an unremarkable motorcycle.

Plus, they tend to be well sub £10K.