Oxygen sensor

Started by andy_g, December 30, 2018, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy_g

I've a 2018 Z1000R Edition Performance.

End of August I had engine light come on fault code 33 Oxygen sensor failure so had the bike recovered to a dealer on the 1st September I eventually got it back on 19th October after Kawasaki UK had to get involved as the dealer couldn't find the fault Kawasaki sent a tech from Kent who did some work on it.

Not used the bike at all due to weather and shifts but as I had a Charity ride coming up thought I'd better winterise it after finishing started bike engine lights back on with fault code 33 again.

Now I had a previous exact bike with was stolen that had a problem with the front fork which took over a month to rectify so so far after buying a brand new bike I've been off the road without my bike for nearly 3 months and it's still got to go back into the workshop.

I'm mean it's not a hard fault it's either the sensor the loom or the ecu or a genuine engine fault.

Any ideas?

Maddog

What did the Kawasaki tech do to the bike?

andy_g

No idea something with the ECU.

They tried a new oxygen sensor didn't clear the fault
They belled out the loom no fault found.
They replaced the ECU fault still present.

I'm at a loss at what the tech did to clear the fault of what the fault actually is.

It has the performance pack so it has non standard end cans but that was all done by the dealer before it was delivered.

Totally dumbfounded by this fault

Maddog

It sounds like the Tech didn't now what the fault was either if hes replaced all that? I would get back on to Kawasaki as if they replaced the sensor and ECU then it surely just leaves the loom to replace? (im southern and dont know what belled out the loom means)??

The exhausts shouldn't make a difference but if they do a simple ECU remap will sort it. See if KAwasaki can stick standard cans on to see if it clears the code

Alzo

Go beserk at dealer and Kawasaki UK until you get a result...I did it with BMW...bike fixed and £350 compensation...seems the way nowdays...being a wallflower no longer works.

andy_g

Went back to a different dealer fixed within a day and possible root cause found and rectified.

Hopefully that's the fault put to bed this time.

Raydial

Quote from: andy_g on January 07, 2019, 08:41:20 PM
Went back to a different dealer fixed within a day and possible root cause found and rectified.

Hopefully that's the fault put to bed this time.
So, what was the problem in the end?

andy_g

Well they found corrosion between the exhaust and the sensor and they also found a corroded connection and water in the sensor.

They've cleaned it up and greased it for protection (maybe a design issue as it's already had a new sensor allegedly)

I rode it back down the M6 in the pissing down rain last night and it was fine I was half expecting the EFI light to come back on.

Hopefully that's the end of it now it had its first service while it was there also and no further problems were found this time lol.

Raydial

Quote from: andy_g on January 08, 2019, 12:34:26 PM
Well they found corrosion between the exhaust and the sensor and they also found a corroded connection and water in the sensor.

They've cleaned it up and greased it for protection (maybe a design issue as it's already had a new sensor allegedly)

I rode it back down the M6 in the pissing down rain last night and it was fine I was half expecting the EFI light to come back on.

Hopefully that's the end of it now it had its first service while it was there also and no further problems were found this time lol.
Glad it's sorted! :thumbleft: I was thinking a few days ago that my money was on a dodgy connection because it sounded similar to some woes I had with a Renault for a while.

andy_g

Why it wasn't picked up and rectified the first time when it was in DMC Birmingham is beyond me they had it for 7 weeks and failed to notice what DK Motorcycles noticed and rectified in a few hours.

Just goes to show missing the simple causes of a fault will lead you down the wrong and more complicated fault diagnoses path.

Raydial

Quote from: andy_g on January 08, 2019, 12:46:22 PM
Why it wasn't picked up and rectified the first time when it was in DMC Birmingham is beyond me they had it for 7 weeks and failed to notice what DK Motorcycles noticed and rectified in a few hours.

Just goes to show missing the simple causes of a fault will lead you down the wrong and more complicated fault diagnoses path.
Yeah, exactly! With my Renault, it went back to Arnold Clark in Glasgow several times, they replaced the whole ECU of the car (costing me nearly £400 about 13 or 14 years ago). But when I got the car back and the problem recurred, they had had the car for so long, and they only store removed parts for 7 days, they couldn't put the old one (that wasn't the cause of the problem) back on. They claimed they'd 'hooked it up to the computer' and it showed a fault so even if there was another problem, they said that still had to be replaced. Of course, they had no proof for this.

Eventually, I sold it to a friend who knew about the problems (intermittently, the central locking and immobiliser wouldn't work so you'd be locked out and unable to start the car), he took it to another garage and they found a dodgy connection.