got a test ride booked

Started by komp, August 09, 2019, 10:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

komp

on one of these

as much as i love the 899, if i do anything over an hour nowadays my wrists are in pieces.
so thought i would try a few nekids and see what i think
as tk cope is literally round corner, figured would start with this
I know a couple of others have one on the site, and feedback i have read seems mostly positive
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

PJ

I'm sure it's already on your radar but definitely worth giving the Street Triple 765 a shot.

Green_Ninja

Quote from: PJ on August 09, 2019, 11:20:07 AMI'm sure it's already on your radar but definitely worth giving the Street Triple 765 a shot.

definitely  :azn:

MOzZereLLa

Depends on the riding you want to do.

The Yamaha was quite disappointing when I test rode an SP. I think I'd built it up too much in my head.

The 765 looks lovely but a road naked needs to be grunty - not sure the 765 is enough! I'd try a Speed Triple RS instead.

I'd seriously consider a Streetfighter S if you can find a good one and like the Ducati marque.

Significantly faster than you.....

komp

must admit have always been curious about the triple engine, but never been fan of looks
out of the street and speed i think prefer the speed

i have ridden the 848 streetfighter, was good fun, made some lovely pops and bangs, but totally forgot about the S

if i was a rich man i would hold out for the new v4 streetfighter, but i think its gonna be around the 20k mark!
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

MOzZereLLa

The 1100 Streetfighter S I had was lovely.

The engine was a hybrid of the 1098 and 1099 and worked really well.

I changed the bars on mine to Renthal fatbars and added spacers to the footpegs and it was perfect.

komp

what were the service intervals like?
did it still need belts tensioning?
one of things i love about the 899 is that it can be serviced like a "normal" bike
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

S1000R. Alzo loves his. Keeper.
Speed Triple RS.Tucker loves his.
Street Triple. Ian Bogie and Sax love theirs.
MT10. Think David W has one .
Z1000. Foo's man Ian has one.
Try them all. 🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍

PJ

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: PJ on August 09, 2019, 01:33:55 PMKTM SDR?

I didn't dare mention it but it's clearly the best of the naked bunch....

komp

Quote from: GRUMPY on August 09, 2019, 01:16:45 PMS1000R. Alzo loves his. Keeper.
Try them all. 🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍

i think the only one out of those i would consider that i hadn't previously is the speed triple
only bmw's and kwaks that do anything for me at the moment are their retro cafe racers
the R nine T and the Z900rs cafe
but not convinced they will be any easier on the old wrists ;)

i test rode the 1290 a few years back, and almost purchased, but went for the 899
i still like them a lot, but thought i would give a few other bikes a test before going back to it
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: komp on August 09, 2019, 02:07:35 PM
Quote from: GRUMPY on August 09, 2019, 01:16:45 PMS1000R. Alzo loves his. Keeper.
Try them all. 🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍🏍

i think the only one out of those i would consider that i hadn't previously is the speed triple
only bmw's and kwaks that do anything for me at the moment are their retro cafe racers
the R nine T and the Z900rs cafe
but not convinced they will be any easier on the old wrists ;)

i test rode the 1290 a few years back, and almost purchased, but went for the 899
i still like them a lot, but thought i would give a few other bikes a test before going back to it

Then you didn't test ride a Gen 2 - night and day better than the original.

terry950sm

Growing old gracefully

Neio79

I thought I wanted a naked bike coming back to riding.  Got one, did not get on with it. Went back to sports bikes and still love them.

If its an addition to the 899 then sure buy an older naked. If it's a replacement, id say think carefully incase you miss sports bikes.

You could always try something like the newer Honda CBR650R (gets good reviews and not as hard on the wrists apparently) however you might miss the power of a full on sports bike.

terry950sm

Growing old gracefully