Decent suspension on a budget?

Started by Maddog, July 27, 2014, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

I had a conversation today re fast track riding and the chap i was chatting to made a valid point......dont spend money on power....spend it on suspension to make the bike more rideable! It makes sense as i dont really use the power the bike already has

What would be more important........sorting the front out or rear?

Ive not got the funds for an Ohlins, WP etc so will be going down the budget route. Its on the ZX10 2004 for track only. Im 16 stone.

Any suggestions? Would a standard fork/shock rebuild be of any use? If so can anyone who has had it done recommend a particular setup....springs, fluid etc

Gobert

Depends on how much you want to spend?

Your talking £300ish to revalve / respring your forks and £400 for something like a Nitron base level shock.

ash

Quote from: Gobert on July 27, 2014, 07:59:19 PM

Your talking £300ish to revalve / respring your forks and £400 for something like a Nitron base level shock.

I paid £150 to have my fork valves reworked to K-tch spec (and then serviced with new seals) locally at http://www.tillitsuspension.com

By far the best value 'item' I have bought for it to date. Was warned that unless spending stupid money on the shock unit, you will barely improve on what comes with the bike out of the crate.

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gobert

Quote from: ash on July 27, 2014, 08:04:39 PM

I paid £150 to have my fork valves reworked to K-tch spec (and then serviced with new seals) locally at http://www.tillitsuspension.com

By far the best value 'item' I have bought for it to date. Was warned that unless spending stupid money on the shock unit, you will barely improve on what comes with the bike out of the crate.

Totally disagree.

Aftermarket rear shocks at the lower end of the scale - eg Wilbers and Nitron - are a lot better than older oe stuff when it comes to track work.

Maddog

Im in Aylesbury but get around so im open to any places

The route im looking at would be re spring/fluids etc on the front and something similar on the rear

Carbon_ZX6R

I was going to say give hm racing a bell but your a bit far
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

WizzBang

I was lucky when I was kitting out the RR trackbike.....eBay came to my rescue and provided me with a WP4618 shock for £200 and then a later version USD forked front end that has Maxton GP25 internals for £400.  All parts had been recently serviced, so it was bolt on and go.

The bike was good before hand, but after, completely different level.

Alzo

You can talk to Maxton direct...reworked forks...Maxton rear shock...all springs to suit your weight. Worth a call.

ash

Quote from: Gobert on July 27, 2014, 08:09:01 PM
Quote from: ash on July 27, 2014, 08:04:39 PM

Totally disagree.

Aftermarket rear shocks at the lower end of the scale - eg Wilbers and Nitron - are a lot better than older oe stuff when it comes to track work.

In what respect ?

Gobert

That even aftermarket shocks at the cheaper end of the scale are a lot better than a brand new oe shock let alone one that's done a few thousand miles.

Carbon_ZX6R

I have to agree ,if the oe shock has not been set up properly even a low end after market will perform much better
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gobert

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on July 27, 2014, 10:11:27 PM
I have to agree ,if the oe shock has not been set up properly even a low end after market will perform much better

Even if it's set up then it's not close - the budget for oe suspension is a very small and this is reflected in the quality of the oil they use.

I've run oe, modified oe and WP/Ohlins/Maxton on track and there is a marked difference between each level. The one thing that applies to all 3 is that they must be set up by someone who knows what they are doing otherwise you are just wasting your money.

Carbon_ZX6R

not close close but a lot nearer than a stock oe shock ive had mine set up and thought It was pretty good then I had a ohlins ttx shock and cartridge kit fitted and it was a game changer
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gobert

That's the thing - you accept what you've got as the standard then you try something else and the goalposts move.

The biggest thing I've noticed on track is how tyre wear improves as you use better, well set up kit. Going through a back tyre every day is NOT funny.........