Project Peej - Yamaha R46

Started by PJ, August 16, 2014, 08:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coxy

There is something very satisfying about unbolting the bent bits and putting good ones in their place.

Go make it happen Baloo, may the force be strong.

PJ

Quote from: Coxy on August 19, 2014, 12:31:29 PM
There is something very satisfying about unbolting the bent bits and putting good ones in their place.

Go make it happen Baloo, may the force be strong.

Thanks mate!

Footpeg has turned up too so tonight, if it's dry the fairing brace will be fitted, the clip on including transferring over the throttle stuff etc and changing the footpeg and brake lever. At least then I'll be able to wheels it around properly without having to do it one handed :)

andy dutton

Quote from: Andy M on August 19, 2014, 11:24:52 AM
It just used to rev and rev, was great fun more of a laugh than the 06 onwards r6. its one I should have kept hold of really. aftermarket suspension was well worth the investment think I had Maxton on it.

What this man said, have a maxton rear shock on mine and really made a difference to the bike...

would love the forks done, but at 330 + VAT, i think i will make do with some hyper-pro springs and decent oil

PJ

Some progress this evening as the fairing brace arrived as did the air duct. I wanted to test fit everything up front to make sure I knew how it all went back together :

Unfortunately dickhead here ordered the wrong clip on so that was an expensive mistake so I couldn't transfer over the throttle gear sadly. But I did also fix the RHS rearset with the new peg and lever and rode it up the path to check it stopped ok which it did.

Let the engine warm up a bit as well to see how it sounded :

https://www.youtube.com/v/UZBmp2Qu-xU

One thing I have noticed is that the forks look a little twisted, in that if I centre the top yoke the front wheel looks slightly off centre. I have loosened the clamps and allowed the forks to drop through the yokes a bit but I think I need to remove them completely and check everything. Will get that done once I get the Abba stand adapters and the proper socket size for the front spindle.

:)

terry950sm

If the forks are bent. Might be worth having the headstock checked.
Growing old gracefully

Coxy

Stick some straight bars on it and ride it like you stole it!

Lord Danoir the first

I reckon you got a bit of a bargain there Peej. Fingers crossed for the forks though.

PJ

Thanks Dan, I reckon so too. Few more parts arrived today, the wrong clip on is on it's way back and correct on order.

I reckon I've been lucky with the forks. A bit of messing tonight and measuring and I'm fairly sure they are not twisted. I'm still going to rip them out and have a good look over though.

PJ

Final major piece of the puzzle ordered :

Local bike shop has it, made them an offer of £120 (RRP is £421) and they accepted so they are only up the road, picking up tomorrow.

All I need to do now is get the Abba stand adapter, get the forks out and checked and then put it back together again and I can literally ride it away.

:)

Lord Danoir the first

Give that man a gold star and a cheeky little rub of his bottom.

PJ

Coxy

Dom1

That looks like it needs to come to Brands Hatch on the 25th September.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

PJ

PJ

Quote from: Dom1 on August 22, 2014, 01:40:27 PM
That looks like it needs to come to Brands Hatch on the 25th September.

Erm erm erm, haven't even got it to a point I can ride it yet, gimme a chance!