trackday only

Started by 1-600-matt, November 13, 2013, 07:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-600-matt

so far i have been on road tyres only. latest set are pilot power super-sport.
Wondering if there is much benefit in going to a full on trackday tyre? can you really notice much difference?

mc101

Quote from: 1-600-matt on November 13, 2013, 07:56:05 PM
so far i have been on road tyres only. latest set are pilot power super-sport.
Wondering if there is much benefit in going to a full on trackday tyre? can you really notice much difference?

Do you notice it? That depends on your feel and setup.

Is there considerably more edge grip available ... Yes.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Maddog

What is a decent track tyre? Does a decent tyre have to be a slick?

Fastas......

No, I use Pirelli Supercorsa which is used by the supersport boys. They also give you options with softness. SC0 being a qualifier down to SC2 for a harder compound. I found these made a great difference to my riding and confidence on track.

mc101

Quote from: Maddog on November 15, 2013, 08:18:50 AM
What is a decent track tyre? Does a decent tyre have to be a slick?

Definately not.. if your not going quick enough a slick will be a liability (they have virtually no grip when cold).

Your better off on Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's, Metzeler Racetecs, Continental Race Attack ...

2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

PJ

I'm not quick on track but I usually run Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's and I love them, however I did once has a set of Pilot Pure trackdays tyres on my old Gixxer. Even at my pace the grip level was noticeable over the more road focused tyres.

I wasn't good enough to extract the use out of them but proper trackday tyres are definitely a step up :)

1-600-matt

Don't think I could push slicks hard enough to make them work, but am thinking maybe some racetechs etc may give me a bit more feel!

Thanks for the thoughts all.

MOzZereLLa

Don't worry about pushing slicks hard - Gobert proved that doesn't hinder anyone.....

Significantly faster than you.....

Farmer Giles

I used supercorsa tyres on my ZX7R trackbike for a year and found them to be really good in dry or slightly damp conditions once they were up to temp.. Never used tyre warmers just made sure they had a couple of laps in them before really pushing..  I'm no trackday god but found them to be a great middle ground between a 'normal' road tyre without having the hastle of slicks, tyre warmers etc..

I used SC1 on the front and SC2 on the back..  Also a ready supply of part worns during the race season.

2p