Bike either cuts out briefly or needs keyed off then on

Started by DaveH, November 08, 2016, 10:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveH

Hi,

As above, the zx6r has developed an intermittent problem when running, especially over bumpy roads.

Sometimes it is very quick and feels like the back wheel has hit a pothole, another time the engine does completely and refuses to start (engine turns over, resetting kill switch etc) until keyed off then on again.

My initial thoughts were side stand cut out, but not sure that would cause the second behaviour, could be two different problems I suppose...

Carbon_ZX6R

Which year , is there an immobiliser fitted? I had a similar problem on a KTM that turned out to be the ignition shorting against the frame
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

DaveH

Sorry, it's a 2000, so no immobiliser.
Have tried waggling wires and ignition key to provoke it, but no joy.

Alzo

DaveH

Jonesy

Carbon_ZX6R

My money would be on either something not connecting properly , or something contacting with something it shouldn't , may be a strip down job
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Alzo

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on November 09, 2016, 06:16:23 PM
My money would be on either something not connecting properly , or something contacting with something it shouldn't , may be a strip down job
A very sweeping view... :rofl:  ;)

PJ

I had the exact problem on my G1 years ago, was told that it was corroded wires to the fuel pump (I think) but it was a long time ago so not much help.

PJ

Quote from: Alzo on November 09, 2016, 06:40:40 PM
Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on November 09, 2016, 06:16:23 PM
A very sweeping view... :rofl:  ;)

In summary, something isn't working as it should, and is the cause of the problem you're seeing.

:rofl:

DaveH

Quote from: PJ on March 03, 2017, 05:02:10 PM
I had the exact problem on my G1 years ago, was told that it was corroded wires to the fuel pump (I think) but it was a long time ago so not much help.
Cheers PJ, will check that out too :-)

DaveH

Turns out that it was a slackening negative battery terminal bolt. Wasn't that loose, but clearly it could get jolted enough to cause a problem as have covered about 600 miles without a problem since refitting the battery.

DaveH

Quote from: Alzo on April 12, 2017, 11:28:36 AM
Do I get a prize?
Yup, and I get a fail for not checking them properly... May have only checked the positive... :oops:

Alzo

Quote from: DaveH on April 12, 2017, 11:34:51 AM
Quote from: Alzo on April 12, 2017, 11:28:36 AM
Do I get a prize?
Yup, and I get a fail for not checking them properly... May have only checked the positive... :oops:
Don't be so negative...anyway what's the prize?