FZ8 upgrades. small update... 03/08

Started by Farmer Giles, November 09, 2013, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Giles

Might as well start a project topic on this one..

After finally getting my new bike on Friday and riding it home in the pissing rain I was keen to give it a bit of a clean up and get my new bits fitted, well most of them as it turned out..

This is the starting point..

and after the wet ride home she was in a bit of a state but the aim of the day was to get rid of all this stuff

and fit my new bits and get the bike set up for me, lever positions, throttle and clutch etc..

Started by striping the rack and old numberplate hanger off.. looking better already.

Then came the mirrors. got to love the left hand thread on the offside...  :embarrassed:

Then it was off with the old exhaust.  yes I did and yes it was loud..   :evil:

Now time to start fitting things back on..

and finally left with this.  much improved IMO..

Unfortunately the exhaust hanger I bought only fits with the standard can so the foot peg stays for now. The hanger will go back and I'll get the one from the same place I bought the exhaust..

After this last picture I removed the white part of the rear seat unit as you can see it's got holes in it to fit round the rack so there is a new unit on order along with a 8x6 plate (dont want to go too silly), bar end mirrors, some plastic bungs to go into the old mirror holes and also a set of adapters for my Abba stand..

For the record the exhaust and link pipe are from SP Engineering and the tail tidy is the Evotech item.

Hopefully the final new bits will be here mid week so by next weekend it should all be done ready to enjoy..

hope you like..

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

komp

cant believe they butchered the rear cowl to get the rack on! madness
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Kitb4460

Retired Rozzer and loving it.

Grantham ninja

Farmer Giles

Quote from: komp on November 10, 2013, 04:15:13 PM
cant believe they butchered the rear cowl to get the rack on! madness

I know..  the rack is a genuine Yamaha accessory part too..

I did wonder why the garage never took it off the bike to sell it, now I know...

Chris C

Coxy

A belly pan would finish that off nicely, looking sweet FG, enjoy.

Farmer Giles

Thanks all. I'm really happy with how it's turned out..

Quote from: Coxy on November 11, 2013, 03:37:27 PM

that's on the maybe list for next year along with the seat cowl and flat bars..  I just want to get this stuff finished then concentrate on riding it and using as much petrol as possible..   :cheesy:

greenmeeny

Like the banana swing arm.

Farmer Giles

All the stuff I've just taken off I have put on the scales and it's weighed in at about 11.5 kgs. The OE can on it's own was 5.9 kgs and the rack was nearly 3kgs.

I know the new can is about 1.3 kgs and the tail tidy and exhaust bracket, when I get it, are not going to be much so I recon I saved between 9 and 10kg all in with the foot pegs and mirrors also coming off.. and alot of that was high up on the bike too. Will be interesting to ride it again to see if I notice anything different.

I also added several PSI into the front tyre as that was below 30 and should be 36. So that's either slow punctured or they never checked it as part of the service  :undecided: 

Just waiting for my new rear bodywork and mirrors to turn up now before I can ride it again...

Jarse

Farmer Giles

Quote from: Jarse on November 13, 2013, 03:25:02 PM
Smart :moto:

thanks..

got my new  bodywork and number plate today..  all fitted and back on the road now.. Went for a cheeky blast and re-confirmed what a fun bike it is to ride..  just such a great riding position..  just need my mirrors now.   maximum paranoia on the road with no mirrors, it was horrible..

even got some little plastic bungs to fill in the old mirror attachment holes..   :)

oh and still waiting for R&G to come back to me before I buy their exhaust hanger as it seems they are the only one who've made one that looks like it will fit..

will put up some more pics when it's all done..

Gilby104

Quote from: Farmer Giles on November 11, 2013, 09:54:55 PM
Thanks all. I'm really happy with how it's turned out..

Quote from: Coxy on November 11, 2013, 03:37:27 PM

that's on the maybe list for next year along with the seat cowl and flat bars..  I just want to get this stuff finished then concentrate on riding it and using as much petrol as possible..   :cheesy:

Agreed, I like the idea of the flat bars too.

Looking very nice their FG! The outlet pipe on the exhaust looks oversized and a bit funny.... although I quite like it!

:moto:

Farmer Giles

Quote from: Gilby104 on November 15, 2013, 03:20:34 PM

Agreed, I like the idea of the flat bars too.

Looking very nice their FG! The outlet pipe on the exhaust looks over sized and a bit funny.... although I quite like it!

:moto:

The only 'issue' with flat bars on another FZ8 I've seen is that they move the controls very close to the tank on full lock..

The exhaust is the 'big bore' version and it's pretty much that diameter all the way through which is why the DB killer is in there...  They do a slash cut motoGP style but I preferred the angled outlet and rolled edge..

fitted the mirrors tonight and they offer a surprising good view behind for such small mirrors..  once the position is set I'll loctite all the grub screws and put a smear of grease over them to stop the rust as I doubt they will be stainless fittings for £11 the pair..

got a couple of other tweeks to do tomorrow and I'll put some pics up of the mirrors.. It's pretty much done for now bar the exhaust bracket but that's a 5 min swap once it arrives..