Main Menu

Bad vibes

Started by PJ, May 08, 2016, 08:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Hey all, bit of advice, is there a most common cause of engine vibration causing hand/feet numbness? The R6 has always been "vibey" since I bought it but it's getting to the point that it's unbearable. Today I went out planning to meet Terry and within 35 miles my hands and feet were tingling to an uncomfortable level..

If I pull the clutch in at speed the vibes go away so I don't think it's drivetrain (i.e. chain etc) but as soon as the engine engages again it comes back.

I've checked the obvious that nothing is lose or blatantly vibrating so I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start to diagnosing it.

Cheers folks.

Alzo

Inherent given the frame high revving engine...you may look at your body and check for wrist issues...carpal tunnel being the main suspect...RSI is another...Repetitive Strain Injury....years of masturbation has my throttle hand in tatters.

MOzZereLLa

Do you get a high frequency buzz through the bars. Which gets numb more, hands, fingers or feet?

The bars can be dampened with heavier bar ends or filling the bar itself with expanding foam, putty etc.
Significantly faster than you.....

Green_Ninja

Is this new or has it always been like it?
May be worth checking the engine mounting bolts, slacken them all off slightly and then re torque to the recommended setting.
You have to remember your bike was crashed but not bad enough to mean a complete strip and rebuild.

The correct answer is to stop fannying around and buy an Explorer ;-)

Chojin

I can offer no real advice other than bikes that vibrate through the bars are a massive deal breaker for me. I don't care how good the bike is, I can't stand handlebar vibes!
I've punted on many a decent bike for this one reason alone :shocked:

PJ

There's always been vibes, but no worse than the R1 for instance. At 70mph it's VERY high frequency, like I imagine if you turned an electric toothbrush on full and tried to hold it, but worse than that.

I don't think heavier bar ends would do much, the standard Yam ones are ridiculously heavy and it's just as bad through the pegs as well so I need to cure the inherent issue.

It does "seem" like it's got a little worse, when I first got the bike I spend time making sure everything was torque'd up and not loose including the engine bolts but it can't hurt to do it again. I did 70 miles yesterday and I hated every second of it sadly.

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: PJ on May 09, 2016, 09:07:57 AM
There's always been vibes, but no worse than the R1 for instance. At 70mph it's VERY high frequency, like I imagine if you turned an electric toothbrush on full and tried to hold it, but worse than that.

I don't think heavier bar ends would do much, the standard Yam ones are ridiculously heavy and it's just as bad through the pegs as well so I need to cure the inherent issue.

It does "seem" like it's got a little worse, when I first got the bike I spend time making sure everything was torque'd up and not loose including the engine bolts but it can't hurt to do it again. I did 70 miles yesterday and I hated every second of it sadly.

The inherent issue is that the engine is running so unless you switch it off you aren't goint to cure it. The vibration will always be there but you can change the frequency of them to reduce the amount you feel or where they are in the rev range.

Alzo

Quote from: PJ on May 09, 2016, 09:07:57 AM

My post was serious. Check for carpal tunnel....there's a simple test but hard to describe...I'll try google and add the link

Dom1

Quote from: Green_Ninja on May 08, 2016, 10:08:00 PM
The correct answer is to stop fannying around and buy an Explorer ;-)

This.

And a stepladder for Steff.  :evil:
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Lord Danoir the first

http://www.vibranator.com/

apparently (according to an online search) there are multiple iOS apps that use accelerometer in your iPhone to measure vibration in all three axis and even graph it. Try yours against another bike maybe?

m6rk

my 5sl did that..

r&g bar bungs sorted the worst of it for me..

Alzo

Don't forget the weight on your wrists....it's no Sports Tourer.

PJ

Thanks all, Alzo I honestly wasn't discounting your comment earlier on, it had occurred to me but I don't experience any RSI type issues in any other activity. It's more the fact it's as bad through my feet as well that concerns me.

I might see about heavier bar ends but I'm not convinced that'll fix the vibes through the pegs.

I'll see about the bar ends and maybe strip her down and retorque everything and see where I get lol

Alzo

Being bike fit is critical too...I don't do big miles now...and hurt after every ride...and I honestly put that down to lack of saddle time.

PJ

Quote from: Alzo on May 09, 2016, 12:17:07 PM
Being bike fit is critical too...I don't do big miles now...and hurt after every ride...and I honestly put that down to lack of saddle time.

That had also occurred to me sadly, I've never been the fittest of blokes but I'm fitter in general now than I have been in years and it still takes it's toll on me. Like you I don't do enough miles to really get in the groove so to speak, but at the moment with the vibes the way they are I don't imagine I could do too many miles on it.