What constitutes a ‘keeper’?

Started by Lord Danoir the first, January 13, 2019, 10:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Danoir the first

Ownership til the day you depart this mortal coil or anything over a defined period of time?

Discuss....... or don't

Alzo

Thegodfather

In my world they're all keepers till I get board of it or I want the next best thing 😂

David W

Something you just click with.  I've never got the '6 month ownership' thing.  Just seems like you didn't really want it in the first place to me.  Shortest ownership I've had is nearly 18mths on a GSXR750 because it was shit and I couldn't make it less shit with parts.

Then again I've only ever had one test ride on a prospective purchase in 30 years of owning bikes.

MOzZereLLa

Significantly faster than you.....

komp

never used the term myself, as there is always something prettier and shinier out there.
that said the 899 has been in my garage than any other bike i have owned...will be 5 years this june!
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

1 of them is a keeper. Maybe 2, depending what day it is.

Kitb4460

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on January 14, 2019, 10:58:10 AM
Quote from: Alzo on January 14, 2019, 06:59:02 AM
Anything over 2000 miles

Or just run in :rofl:

Never had that " keeper " mindset until i bought the Z900RS Cafe.

I reckon that i have found the one that does it for me in my retirement years..  :rofl: :cool:

Retired Rozzer and loving it.

Lord Danoir the first

OK, so here's my slightly warped opinion on it........ a keeper is a bike you keep beyond the point that you buy its replacement

Make sense?

Dom1

Keeper - One I wouldn't/didn't sell. I usually prefer to write them off than willingly part with it for something as sordid as cash.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Alzo

It's clearly an item you intend to keep forever. My keepers live forever in my memory...so that qualifies.
Long live the keepers.

PJ

For me a keeper is a bike that "theoretically" you could keep "forever". It may not be a perfect bike, it may not tick every single box but it's a bike you just couldn't see yourself parting with, even if you can't explain why. I don't see a keeper as a life long thing, but for me that's largely due to money. If money was no object I'd have a ton of so called keepers, but that would likely be the prettiness factor.

I have seemingly got on so well with the Explorer that I genuinely don't see me changing it any time soon, so for now, it's a keeper.

Kitb4460

Quote from: GRUMPY on January 14, 2019, 03:56:30 PM

The big bus is deffo a keeper Davie :cool: :cool:
Retired Rozzer and loving it.

Quote from: Kitb4460 on January 15, 2019, 08:24:23 AM
Quote from: GRUMPY on January 14, 2019, 03:56:30 PM

The big bus is deffo a keeper Davy :cool: :cool:

Big Green Bus is a definite keeper. Too much time and money spunked on it to sell. Plus I love it.  :cool:

LewisBeGoog

1000 miles, that's the last 3 weeks  :laugh: