£25 fine going to cost me over £400

Started by Lord Danoir the first, June 24, 2014, 05:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Danoir the first

OK, so I've been a bit silly. I got a parking fine from a local authority parking attendant which I ignored.

The fine went up to £75 - ignored.

Couple of weeks ago I get a notice of enforcement asking for £187...... didn't ignore - forgot.

Today I get home and apparently a chap has attended my house (I'm assuming he's a bailiff) and is now demanding £422.

I've contacted them and asked to pay the £187 but they're insistent that I pay the full amount before it goes up to £632.

I didn't know people could legally do this?..... or is this someone trying it on?

Dom1

As its local authority you may be screwed.

Try here for advice.....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=f65d825e8bee70e37f5a2e9e85b27e06&f=163

My eldest got a private parking one that I referred to POPLA. POPLA denied receiving my appeal but the private mob and their debt collectors appear to have fucked off anyway.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

ash

Daughter got caught like this a few years ago. Had to pay it. These people are sharks and the price they up their claim for is 'admin fee's'

Carbon_ZX6R

ouch only time I got caught was for not having a ticket I went to the council office claiming that I did and they checked the photos and they wore so dark they couldn't say I didn't have one could you possibly do this?
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

David W

You could do what I did when I was the old me and beat ten shades of shit out of the Neanderthals they sent from a debt collector to sort me out?  Didn't do my credit rating any good at the time, but it gave the Police a good laugh.....

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: David W on June 24, 2014, 06:28:31 PM
You could do what I did when I was the old me and beat ten shades of shit out of the Neanderthals they sent from a debt collector to sort me out?  Didn't do my credit rating any good at the time, but it gave the Police a good laugh.....
now that's justice
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Lord Danoir the first

I've been on to the national debt line who were very helpful.

Basically, the debt is correct but I learned a chunk about bailiff's rights.

Live's and learn's.

Gilby104

I'm surprised there isn't more protection for Joe Blow against corporations hiking up admin fees. Given the size of the debt now would it be possible to insist on going to civil court and having it out there? At least in that environment you can have it out with a judge and say you have no problem paying the fine as such but that the additional admin fees are extortionate.

Just something to think about?

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: Gilby104 on June 25, 2014, 10:16:55 AM
I'm surprised there isn't more protection for Joe Blow against corporations hiking up admin fees. Given the size of the debt now would it be possible to insist on going to civil court and having it out there? At least in that environment you can have it out with a judge and say you have no problem paying the fine as such but that the additional admin fees are extortionate.

In all honesty Gilby, if you've got the front, there's fuck all these people can do to get the money out of you. Bailiffs powers are so limited that as long as you're savvy, you can happily waste their time and the debt would get batted back to the original issuer.

In my case though, peeping over the gate every time I go out and always taking the necessary precautions to make sure they can't get legal access to my property is more hassle than it's worth.

Hurt though, phoning up and handing over £422 of my hard earned for fuck all.......

The worst part is though, and I'm not using this as an excuse because I purposely ignored the fine, but the parking ticket was issued when I was in the doctors being given the news about the throat cancer issue I mentioned in another thread.

Chalked down to experience.

Gilby104

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on June 25, 2014, 11:27:49 AM
Quote from: Gilby104 on June 25, 2014, 10:16:55 AM

In all honesty Gilby, if you've got the front, there's fuck all these people can do to get the money out of you. Bailiffs powers are so limited that as long as you're savvy, you can happily waste their time and the debt would get batted back to the original issuer.

In my case though, peeping over the gate every time I go out and always taking the necessary precautions to make sure they can't get legal access to my property is more hassle than it's worth.

Hurt though, phoning up and handing over £422 of my hard earned for fuck all.......

The worst part is though, and I'm not using this as an excuse because I purposely ignored the fine, but the parking ticket was issued when I was in the doctors being given the news about the throat cancer issue I mentioned in another thread.

Chalked down to experience.

I think once it had got this far I would be doing much the same as you Dan, I wouldn't want to have to watch my back like that. Just a fucker that the powers that be don't offer you a little more protection from the actual chaseable debt spiraling like that.

Gutted for you though.

ash

Litigation works that way though. My mate is really not happy with the settlement from his off as the law firm (who shall remain nameless)  not only put in a claim for their own expenses to the 3rd party, but has informed him that they want 25% of his settlement figure as they claim that their own claim hasn't covered their time (they are charging around £200+ PH AFAIK). They fucked up loads of times, switched personnel afew times who they had to be brought up to speed and kept asking repeatedly for conferance calls, and duplication on his part as they claim they lost files or wanted more clarity on other stuff. They demanded people who were involved either as witnesses (me for one), or with his rehab give their time for gratis whilst racking up massive costs when they asked their own people to get involved.
It was mostly horse shit and just there to boost their claim of the pot.

Whenever the 'law' gets involved, the little people are guaranteed to get shit on. They write the books to ensure that to be the case!

Tiiimmmaaayyyy

Quote from: ash on June 25, 2014, 01:54:16 PM
Litigation works that way though. My mate is really not happy with the settlement from his off as the law firm (who shall remain nameless)  not only put in a claim for their own expenses to the 3rd party, but has informed him that they want 25% of his settlement figure as they claim that their own claim hasn't covered their time (they are charging around £200+ PH AFAIK). They fucked up loads of times, switched personnel afew times who they had to be brought up to speed and kept asking repeatedly for conferance calls, and duplication on his part as they claim they lost files or wanted more clarity on other stuff. They demanded people who were involved either as witnesses (me for one), or with his rehab give their time for gratis whilst racking up massive costs when they asked their own people to get involved.

Whenever the 'law' gets involved, the little people are guaranteed to get shit on. They write the books to ensure that to be the case!

What's the relevance to parking where you shouldn't, ignoring the penalty notice and getting punished for it?

Carbon_ZX6R

Velcro number plates come in handy sometimes
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

ash

Quote from: Tiiimmmaaayyyy on June 25, 2014, 02:02:47 PM
Quote from: ash on June 25, 2014, 01:54:16 PM

What's the relevance to parking where you shouldn't, ignoring the penalty notice and getting punished for it?

Nothing more than as soon as you are in the system, you are by and large a paying passenger and they set the tarriff. Just drawing a parallel.

Lord Danoir the first

there are limits on what they can claim, and they're free to claim up to these limits..... as expected, this guy did...... but also threatened to add more if he had to come back; which is fraud and intimidation.

I've coughed up, but have put a complaint in about that.