advise needed on giving my address as bail for a friend's cousin

Started by villieb, April 24, 2014, 07:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

villieb

Afternoon... I need some advice. A friemd approached me about using my address to bail out his cousin.

My friends cousin had an argument with his wife and she got him arrested. Apparently he isn't allowed bail in the same town so hence why I was asked. Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do?

What are the long term implications of using my address?

Thanks!

Carbon_ZX6R

How well do you know the bloke sounds fishy what did she get him arrested for as they wont exclude him from a town cor a row what you need to think is do you want the lad in your home
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Gilby104

Quote from: villieb on April 24, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
Afternoon... I need some advice. A friemd approached me about using my address to bail out his cousin.

My friends cousin had an argument with his wife and she got him arrested. Apparently he isn't allowed bail in the same town so hence why I was asked. Has anyone else been in this position and what did you do?

What are the long term implications of using my address?

Thanks!

I honestly have no idea what the legal ramifications of it all are.... but.....

my general rule with stuff like that is if he isn't your mate it's not your problem. If he hasn't got any mates of his own that are willing to back him then he's probably not the sort of lad you want to be extending help to.... people have an uncanny knack of taking liberties with other people, especially when it's people they don't need to show any loyalty to.

It's got "stay away from it" written all over it for me.... but I've been wrong before!

Maddog

From a professional point of view......dont do it. If he ever skips bail or fails to appear the police will be knocking at your door at all hours looking for him as the address is a bail address for him. Your address will be known to police systems for Mr x being linked to it.

My 2 pennies worth is not to do it

Lord Danoir the first

Do a bloke a solid turn and face the prospect of a little bit of inconvenience if things turn sour?

never pass up an opportunity to do something nice for someone...... especially if it requires no more effort than to utter the word "yes".

Maddog

The problem is, if the chap isnt living at the bail address! The fact he isnt allowed in the same town indicates he may have been charged with a criminal offence? If he will be living with you then do it......if he isnt then dont!

mc101

Why don't you leave a big sign on the garden gate ...

Please leave your shit on my doorstep.

They didn't arrest him, charge him or insist on bail without some grounds.
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

ash

He should be giving the addy for where he is staying. If that isn't with you, then you may find yourself on some dodgy assisting an offender/perverting the course of justice/etc type charge

David W

Minefield.  Unless he's a good personal friend and you're completely convicted he's innocent I'd be inclined to tell him to do one.

Unless of course he's beaten his wife up, in which case invite him in and then beat him unrecognisable in your kitchen so he knows how domestic violence works from the other point of view?

Millhouse

Life is a contact sport,  you'll be needing rule #5

mc101

Quote from: David W on April 25, 2014, 06:54:11 AM
Unless of course he's beaten his wife up, in which case invite him in and then beat him unrecognisable in your kitchen so he knows how domestic violence works from the other point of view?
:sign5:  :rofl:
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

Nat

I agree with Danoir generally - do a good turn and all, but this person is the cousin of a friend - there should be plenty of other people on the list to call on first - his own parents, siblings, friends, friends of his own friends etc... 
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Alzo

The answer is "No"...life can throw enough shit without inheriting others.