tank pad removal

Started by Pandamonium, September 10, 2014, 03:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandamonium

Anyone any experience removing tank pads? One on the 7r is naff but its required, might go as far as baglux tank cover to keep it good, but looking ideas for safe removal so I don't damage paint.
Ta

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

komp

i would recommend a hair dryer or similar to warm it up before peeling off
softens the glue
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Jonesy

use a hair dryer to soften the glue, peel back and take residual residue off with a petrol / WD40 soaked rag!

Pandamonium

Hair dryer, thats the magic touch, thank you.
Don't suppose anyone knows where to get original decals from too? It appears something has fallen against it at a time and there are a few marks on the right hand side fairing decals.
Cheers

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Pandamonium on September 10, 2014, 04:00:26 PM
Hair dryer, thats the magic touch, thank you.
Don't suppose anyone knows where to get original decals from too? It appears something has fallen against it at a time and there are a few marks on the right hand side fairing decals.
Cheers
ring round main dealers its surprising what we have lurking in the stores
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Pandamonium

I shall try that, will need to have a look see who I can find online, can only think of one here in Scotland and the ones I know in NI are too new to have 7r stuff.
Cheers

komp

used to get all mine from a signage place up the road
they cut and make full colour vinyl prints and would make anything you wanted
over the years they ended up with quite a back catalogue
maybe you have somewhere like this near you?

else ebay

can give details of the place near me if you want, they may be able to help over phone/by email
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Pandamonium

Cheers for that komp, ill keep that in mind. Unfortunately can't think of anything like that near by, would be good as I don't really fancy trying to put it on.

Tank pad is off  :grin: bit of petrol to remove some sticky stuff and then g3 scratch remove and polish and would never know it was there.