Kawasaki AR50 restoration

Started by Phil_8, July 23, 2016, 04:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_8

*****KAWASAKI RELEVANT POST!!!!!!!!****** :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

After being sat in my mums greenhouse for over 10 years, I've finally decided its time to not only bring this back to life, but hopefully make something a bit special out of it too

Most of the cobwebs, dust and general shit had already been brushed off before I started taking pictures. I also forgot to take the first 'before' picture and a lot of the pics are for my own reference for when it comes to putting it back together again.
Todays progress so far....

David W

Love it.  A bike doesnt get much simpler than that.

Alzo

MOzZereLLa

Used to be a chap called Lee Irving who rode one of those around my village when I was about 12 yrs old. It's definitely one of the things that got me into bikes (wanting to be like Lee on his black AR50).

Makes me chuckle. He used to ride around in a full face bell with a nicotine glory hole drilled in the front (a la Sheene) so he could smoke tabs on the go  :rofl:
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

The 50cc I longed for as a spotty youth. Really looking forward to the updates.

Carbon_ZX6R

Looks like your going to have some fun
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Phil_8

This is how the bike is now looking after yesterday

The swing arm pivot bolt is proving....tricky to get out. May have to get a garage to have a go at that =/

And the engine boxed and ready to be sent over to BDK race engineering

Now to find a good powder coater in the Hemel Hempstead area, if anyone knows any recommendations already?

I also need to find a decent metal worker that will be able to reshape the crushed expansion pipe on the exhaust and a couple of dinks on the tank too

Chojin

Ah my first bike :)

Sadly it ended on fire in the local woodland.

Dom1

Mmmm I think I need one of those.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Phil_8

Little update to keep this intriguing

Just spent around £500 on goodies from America that will take a few weeks to make and ship

Also spunked about £200 on replacement parts from wemoto.

Still plenty more to come too!

.....my god, this bike stuff is obscenely expensive, especially for a bike that is held in no regard and worth fuck all
Ah well. Got to spend my time and money on something!!

=D

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: Phil_8 on July 28, 2016, 08:23:42 PM
especially for a bike that is held in no regard and worth fuck all

you'd be surprised...... some 40-something with a teenage glint in his eye and a modicum of disposable income will pay handsomely for that, I reckon.

you've only got to look what people are paying for retro BMX's........ if it invokes memories of youth, it's worth money.

Carbon_ZX6R

Dam you and your plastic tank!
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Phil_8

The plastic is the 2 stroke tank The metal petrol tank sits over the top of this and is rusty af inside! I just had to lever the fuel cap off as the mechanism had seized. So, new fuel cap is needed now

Also dismantling a few other things ready to to be shot blast and sprayed

Maddog

Bucks powder coating in Aylesbury have shotblasted and powder coated my wheels and calipers in the past and were pretty good value.