Forks - Taking them apart and putting them back together

Started by Dom1, July 25, 2013, 02:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom1

Eldest son has bought a CBR125 which has a leaking fork seal.

Further investigation has shown that the stanchion is damaged so needs replacing or it will just rip a new seal.

I have found a set on ebay with one leg damaged for £30 so I am thinking I can make two good forks out of the set he has and bits of the other set.

Never done forks before and have no manual. How easy is it to pull them apart and put them back together again? Do I need a seal driver?

They are only 31mm forks.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Green_Ninja

right way up forks are easy, before you remove the top nut try to undo the bolt in the bottom that holds the damper rod in. As long as that can be undone easy peasy, you don't need a seal driver just use the use on to drive the new one in.

big gav

Price new ones mate.

we got some at work that were £95 for a pair of complete new ones !

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Dom1

Got it apart but the old seal seems to have disintegrated into all the channels in the fork bottom.

Any advice for clearing it out?

Now do I fit the new seal to the fork bottom then push the stanchion through it or fit it to the stanchion the push the whole shebang into the bottom?

captain sensible

Always best to fit new seals when you have it apart,  as for cleaning it out,  best bet might be to flush it out, depending on how badly is fallen apart.
Now with 100% more sarcasm.