Considering a Change

Started by Dom1, September 02, 2020, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom1

As some of you know I have spent the last few years hitting the green lanes on my trusty DR350.

We have shared some great times and there isn't any trail I am not prepared to throw it at.

Everyone I know who has owned a DR350 regrets selling it, including the bloke I bought it from.

But..... I have had my head turned by the Yamaha Tenere 700.

I have the requisite permission slip from the mrs to make the change but I have to let the DR go if I want the T7.

On the plus side the T7 will give me a much greater range than the DR as it is so much better on the road sections but it is also a peach off road albeit heavier but more powerful.

Also I can actually buy accessories for the T7 cos its new and people are making stuff for it whereas I have struggled to buy parts for the DR.

Also Dan, who I ride with most has a KTM 790S so I know these larger bikes are more than capable of tackling the trails we ride.

On the down side its a lot of money to throw in a muddy Welsh ditch and I can see myself being precious about it.

Also there is not a lot of second hand ones about and they are going for strong money.

Also I can spanner the DR myself and it takes minimal maintenance.

Final decision is a bit of a way off due to the house move and needing to be sure we are financially OK after that.

Target date is getting a T7 for my birthday next year.

Every time I think I have made up my mind something comes along to change it. Most recently I rode the DR to Dartmoor and back, it did everything, maybe not as well on the road as Dan's KTM 790 but certainly good enough and I get emotionally attached to bikes so usually have to write them off rather than sell them.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Alzo

What percentage is road riding?...I did an off road course a few years back and counter intuitive to my usual thinking was that the smaller capacity engines and a modest power output were probably more favourable for that particular activity...will the 700 and increased weight/size be a hinderence rather than an improvement???

Dom1

The smaller capacity bikes are certainly the weapon of choice on the trails but the KTM 790 and Tenere are a very good compromise.

You can tackle some pretty severe stuff on the really big adventure bikes like a BMW GS if you have the skill.

The amount of lanes available is limited and a lot of my riding is tiny B-roads linking up the lanes.

Probably 70:30 roads to lanes unless I have planned it very well.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Alzo

The 700 beckons...do it...don't question it...😊😉

David W

Decent tyres, don't be tempted to add all the 'Adventure' nonsense and I reckon it's a win!

Dom1

I'm thinking decent bashplate, engine protection and some sort of rack to throw the tent on.

Will probably go for some sort of decal kit if I can find one that doesn't look like I've crashed through Halfords so that can get scratched up and replaced when I fancy a change.

MOzZereLLa

Looks great. How much are they and how do they compare price-wise to the 790 Adventure?
Significantly faster than you.....

Dom1

£9150 from the dealer £10500 for the Rally version pictured.

Used I have seen from £7300 bit £8500 is more common.

KTM 790 is about £11500. 

Ridden both on and off road and I prefer the T7 even without all the computer whizzbangery.

Jarse

Chojin

terry950sm

Growing old gracefully

Dom1

With all the Rally kit, yes.

I watch racestoplaces on YouTube and Basil bike is based on a KtM690.

That said the cost of changing a 690 and the maintenance intervals puts me off.

I reckon the T7 is the closest to a Dakar rally bike straight out of the box without being as highly strung.

Green_Ninja

Quote from: Dom1 on September 11, 2020, 07:35:40 AMWith all the Rally kit, yes.

I watch racestoplaces on YouTube and Basil bike is based on a KtM690.

That said the cost of changing a 690 and the maintenance intervals puts me off.

I reckon the T7 is the closest to a Dakar rally bike straight out of the box without being as highly strung.

you've just answered your question haven't you LOL get the T7

Andy M

C'mon Dom get on with it fella 😎

Dom1

Well that was an expensive weekend.

Deposit sent to a man I have never met for a bike I have only seen in pictures.

I think lockdown has made me a bit soft in the head.