Lid Shopping - Manchester

Started by Gilby104, July 07, 2016, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilby104

Any of you lot have any preferred places to go lid shopping in Manchester? I'm in the market as it were and the only place I know in town is J&S but never been blown away by the range of lids they do in there.

I have a free afternoon so I don't mind riding out a bit to go to a decent place.

all suggestions welcome (apart from look online.... I need to try on some lids).

Cheers, G

PJ

J&S at Northwich have a mega range of lids, but I bought mine from the Dainese store in Manchester (before the moved a bit up the road). Knocked me £200 off the tag price too.....

Gilby104

Quote from: PJ on July 07, 2016, 05:16:48 PM
J&S at Northwich have a mega range of lids, but I bought mine from the Dainese store in Manchester (before the moved a bit up the road). Knocked me £200 off the tag price too.....

Ah, I'd not thought of Dainese on the basis every time I've looked at kit in there the prices have made me feel a bit sick.... I'll have a look.

I'll head over to Northwich!

Cheers Peej

MOzZereLLa

Generally. You get what you pay for.
Significantly faster than you.....

Gilby104

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on July 08, 2016, 11:14:20 AM
Generally. You get what you pay for.

That's the bare minimum I expect from a transaction!!  ;)

Gilby104

As for the prices at Dainese they're generally just too rich for my blood. I am sure you 'get whet you pay for' but I'm afraid it's budget permitting - I'm not sure that the kit is worth 3 times the price of it's competitors that I am generally buying from.

By the same logic I don't drive a McLaren and wear pants made out of minx. As much as I'd like to.

MOzZereLLa

But the difference in cost of a McLaren compared to a Focus is much more than 3 times.

I'd prefer to spend £800 on a set of Dainese leathers compared to £400 on a set of Spada for example. The difference is more than twice the price.

Gilby104

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on July 08, 2016, 11:52:20 AM
But the difference in cost of a McLaren compared to a Focus is much more than 3 times.

I'd prefer to spend £800 on a set of Dainese leathers compared to £400 on a set of Spada for example. The difference is more than twice the price.

how much are you paying for your mink pants?

Sorry, I was being a bit flippant, but I don't have the cash to be paying double in any case. The Dainese stuff I had looked at (a while ago now) was so far out of my budget even compared to the Astar kit I ended up getting.... I couldn't really afford that in truth. As for lids, I'm firmly in the "Under £200" bracket but I'd hope the job it does is not 1/3rd as good as the £600 I could be spending.

MOzZereLLa

Lids for me is different. It's fitment over price or name (but I wouldn't risk any "unknown" brands) so for me that's an Arai.

That said AGV now have a MedSm size which fits me better and a Small Shark is also OK. Neither still fit as well as an Arai however.

Gilby104

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on July 08, 2016, 12:56:23 PM
Lids for me is different. It's fitment over price or name (but I wouldn't risk any "unknown" brands) so for me that's an Arai.

That said AGV now have a MedSm size which fits me better and a Small Shark is also OK. Neither still fit as well as an Arai however.

Yeah it's only a lid I am looking for ATM and I haven't had a look to see if Dianese have any decent lids for sensible prices.

I tend to be the same but price forces me to generally go for the less trendy versions of the range. I struggle with fitment as I need the right fit + they need to pinch the side of my head slighty to stop my specs moving around if it gets bumpy!

My AGV S4 does a decent job and it's v. light but it's really noisy which is a bit of a pain. I'm going to have a look around and try a few on. Worst case scenario I can just get a new S4 which I know does the business..... it would just be nice to have  a change.

I'm also really fussy on design.... don't want any daggers or skulls or anything that looks like a tattoo on my lid.... and I certainly don't want anyone's racing number.... which kind of limits options!

Never really looked at Sharks, will have a look. I always remembered them as being budget lids from when I was a kid but I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick!

MOzZereLLa

MC has a Shark Pro Race this year and rates it I think.

Carbon ones are about £300 on eBay and get five star Sharp reviews.

I like the Sykes and Guintoli reps.

steve-a

I have just replaced my SHOEI GT Air from http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/ for a decent price of £299.00, it was very straight forward as I already have one so just got a different colour this time.
Service was good, the helmet was despatched the next day, courier details sent in an email, options to change delivery on the day.
KTM SD 1290R

Gilby104

Got down to Northwich J&S on Saturday afternoon. Great range of lids and fantastic staff - thanks for the recommendation Peej.

Ended up going for an AGV K3 SV in Matt Black / Grey (not sure which colour it is, but it's dark. It's got the pinlock visor too which I'm excited about trying. Helmet was up for £160 and they knocked it down to £150 as it was a demonstrator - sat right in front of the help desk and not a mark on it so happy it's safe.

Got home and tried to figure out how to remove the visor (just ordered a dark tint) and to my surprise there is a little leaver that pulls down a little sun visor.... I feel like I might actually be Maverick from!

What a little treat!

tucola

Gilby104

Quote from: tucola on July 11, 2016, 12:31:09 PM
Lidl, surely?

I can't go into a Lidl or an Aldi TBH..... as soon as I go in there I feel certain that I need a cut price de-humidifier or a set of budget tools!!