head stock bearings

Started by komp, April 07, 2017, 12:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komp

going to attempt to change the head stock bearings on the ktm this weekend and just wondered if there is anything i need to look out for or any advise? as not a job i have done before

noticed was a bit of movement when first got it, but has become steadily worse and now is starting to effect turning at low speeds, so want this done before off to france next month.

i have got a workshop manual and doesnt look too tricky, i am missing the "special tools" but confident i can fashion something to get old ones out and get new ones back in!

thanks
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Alzo

How have you came to the conclusion it's replace as opposed to adjustment of existing item?

komp

tbf i havent even tried adjusting yet, its possible that will resolve
i am going by what i have read on various ktm forums and symptoms suggest lower bearings need replacing
bearings were hardly expensive so figured i would get them, and sometimes you need that peace of mind before going on a long trip on bike
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Alzo

Fair enough...but I would have probably adjusted first...anyway good luck with the work.  ;) :moto:

Manic636

The only thing I know is that you shouldn't be shy with the grease when re-assembling..

komp

didnt have time to replace at the weekend, but did have time to see if adjusting made any difference
unfortunately not. bike still have this weird stiffness in the steering at slow speeds.. mainly turning to the right
it was this that prompted me to look at bearings, as a few peeps have had similar issues with their smt's.

cheers manic, I will be liberal with the lube :)
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Dom1

New bearings in the freezer to make them easier to fit.

Good luck getting the old ones out.

Or am I thinking of wheel bearings?
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Jonesy

Quote from: Dom1 on April 10, 2017, 05:37:26 PM
Good luck getting the old ones out.

nope you are correct, getting the bottom race off can be a bitch!

:kiss:

komp

gonna start tomorrow, hopefully 4 days will be enough to complete the job !
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: komp on April 13, 2017, 03:00:18 PM
gonna start tomorrow, hopefully 4 days will be enough to complete the job !
have a hammer handy! a big one
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

komp

sorted! and only took 1 day!
and feels like a new bike
not only resolved the stiffness when turning but has also eliminated the vibration i was getting from the front brake.. chuffed to bits.

as you can see it was definitely in need of replacing...
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

DaveH