Riding motorcycles.

Started by Alzo, May 18, 2018, 09:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alzo

I'm a very young looking 54....I've been riding bikes since 12 years old on Farm roads and public roads since 16...my enthusiasm then was high...my enthusiasm now is on par...am I unique or are there others out there feel the same.

Raydial

My enthusiasm has waned slightly in the last few days mainly because it's becoming a massive pain in the bahookie trying to import a 21 year old bike to Vienna. Austrian bureaucracy is tedious.  :undecided:

Alzo

Easier to buy a local machine?

Jarse

Very much like you Alzo. Used to bike every day, went a bit stale a late ZX6R/Street Triple Phase, now love it more than ever. Especially Adventure style bikes. 

Raydial

Quote from: Alzo on May 18, 2018, 09:42:30 AM
Easier to buy a local machine?
Undoubtedly. But not an option at this point. Plus I've done so much to this bike I'm unwilling to get rid of it. Were I to sell it,  I would either need to complete the importation process or take it back to Britain.

Dom1

Rode my first bike when I was 10 but knew I wanted one long before then.

It is my happy place, my church, my therapy and I wish I could do more of it.

Given the time and funds I could just ride and ride. The times I have been less into it have been when I got stuck in riding the same places due to not having the opportunity to ride elsewhere.

Would love to tour especially with the Trans Euro Trail now being published.

Plenty of interest in all things bike for me.
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

komp

i came late to the game at 30 years of age, but made up with it with my unrelenting enthusiasim
couldnt imagine ever not owning a bike now
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

MOzZereLLa

Could ride at 15. Taught my best mate to ride his TS50X by riding it out of his garage up god drive (20yds) and then back again whilst he was waiting for his 16th. Then, might have done a short ride out on his NS125 after he passed his test and inherited his Dad's GPX250. My parents wouldn't let me have a bike so I got my licence whilst on a reading week at uni (my instructor was a fox - Tamsin in Wimbledon) had to wait until after I'd joined work to buy a CBR600. Wrote if off 10 days later. I'll never learn.
Significantly faster than you.....

the invisible dog

Late starter here too - mid twenties when I first straddled a motorbike
CBT and a CG125 quickly followed and bobbed about on that for three years before doing my test
Popped into the local shop to get some gloves, came out with a ZX6R-F3
Went brilliantly for a good three years until some mirrorless ditherer took me out nicely one morning, on the way to work, so, after everyone's sensible advice and discouragement, an '03 ZX10R was sourced
Not ridden much over the last few years, being run off the road in the car knocked my confidence a bit, but the '10 is lurking in the garage still feels great - need to get out a bit more tho'... ;)

Jimhas7

Done my test in the early 90`s, couldn't afford a proper bike (Other than the KDX125SR) until I was a lot older... met up with the Beaconsfield mob and learnt all my road riding spending it with them... Good times  :moto:

Evolved to just track-day riding (Euro trips as its less hassle than UK days, well still do the odd UK day) try to get two or three trips in a year...

been skint ever since  :rofl:

Manic636

Hooked from the days when my uncle had his, used to get to go pillion now an then, Suzuki Katana was the dream bike back in those days...
Never looked back since doing my test and bloody good job as I'm back working in the trade and using bikes daily although not always on my own.. Would still happily have a garage full so I guess even winning the lottery would see me broke  :rofl:

MajicKwak

Never had any interest in bikes till my neighbour turned up one day on a ZX7, then seeing him getting home with such a big grin on his face after a day out on the bike, I thought "I want some of that!" so did it within a few months.
Although not ridden more than 300 miles in the last 2 years my head says to sell the ZX6, but something else prevents me from spending a whole day digging it out of the garage to even see it.
Tempted to sell it and do some green laning for a few years.

Neio79

Quote from: MajicKwak on May 18, 2018, 10:40:39 PM
Never had any interest in bikes till my neighbour turned up one day on a ZX7, then seeing him getting home with such a big grin on his face after a day out on the bike, I thought "I want some of that!" so did it within a few months.
Although not ridden more than 300 miles in the last 2 years my head says to sell the ZX6, but something else prevents me from spending a whole day digging it out of the garage to even see it.
Tempted to sell it and do some green laning for a few years.

I regret selling my C2H , especially snow they are worth more than i sold it for 6 years ago.

A bike costs nothing to keep in a garage.

chuggy

I intend to learn to learn how to ride a bike soon

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Green_Ninja

Got a moped at 16, swapped for a MZ150TS at 17 passed my test a couple of months later in September 1977 (yes I'm an old git), rode bikes, 3 MZ's, Royal Enfield 250, Triumph T100T Daytona, Honda 400/4 F1, Kawaski Z650 B1, exclusively until I was 21 when I bought a cheap car and passed my test. 1983 swapped the Z650 for a Fiat Miafiori (regretted it ever since, got married, rebiult the 400/4 with later Super Dream wheels and brakes, red frame White tank and panels - it got nicked  :(.

No  bike  for a few years due to lack of money etc, got Z500 in banana yellow, was a bag of shit. Kids cam along 1989 so no bikes then until 2001 when I also discovered the previous incarnation of this place after buying a 400/4 F2 - it lasted 6 weeks and was swapped for a zx6r G1 - my first sports bike, discovered track days - Thank you Gary and Ali Benson for that - kept the G1 4 1/2 years, choppe dit in for a 2006 ZX6R C6F brand new, bought a second hand Zx6R C6f in Dec of the same year which became my track bike.

For a few years from 2002 to 2010 was doing 8 - 10 track days a year and loving it.

2008 chooped the road ZX6R C6F for a new Speed triple 1050 - lovely bike, in 2011 chopped that in for a 2010 ZX10R  - Animal - great bike but too much for the road.

In between had GPZ900R, ZX10 (original 1991), CB500 race bike (shit).

2013 chopped the ZX6R in for a Street Triple R, August 2016 chopped that in for a Tiger Sport 1050, chopped that in April 2017 for Street Triple  RS which is Awesome. August 2017 bought back my 2013 Street R so now have the 2 Triumphs in the garage.

Bikes are definitely 'toys' nowadays not daily transport but I still love em  :azn:

Did 1200 miles over 4 days on the RS a couple of weeks back so they do still get used.