ZX7R project....

Started by Maddog, January 08, 2020, 07:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maddog

Im going to buy a low mileage 7r at some point over the next month or so. Does anyone know what front end is a reasonably easy swap? Ive seen some pictures of 7rs with Ohlins forks and Brembo calipers......which i like the look of. Any suggestions?

The plan is to make it look similar to the number 9 WSBK..

Maddog

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

David W

I'll warn you. I spent thousands modifying a ZX7R (Ohlins/OZ Wheels/blueprinted motor, Harris everything, etc) and it still wasn't that great afterwards.

captain sensible

I know its possible to fit a zx10r or a zzr14 front end but cant remember what years fit best, also the aprilia 'banana' swing arm also fits the rear quite well.

I also spent way too much money upgrading my old zx7r, even swapped the engine from a 9r.
Now with 100% more sarcasm.

Maddog

Ahhhhhhh  boys.......... thats not what i wanted to hear!!! Why wasn't the bike any good after the upgrades? Is there a common issue?

captain sensible

I think that the main issue is that for the cost of upgrading the bike, you can get a much newer, more capable bike.

The project was great fun when I did it, but the fuel economy was shot, the bike was still very heavy and aside from confusing gixxer 600 owners off of the lights, didn't have that much going for it.
Now with 100% more sarcasm.

David W

Quote from: Maddog on January 14, 2020, 06:45:36 PMAhhhhhhh  boys.......... thats not what i wanted to hear!!! Why wasn't the bike any good after the upgrades? Is there a common issue?

Not meaning to kick your new puppy but they are a 25 year old design. Nearer 30 if you're being harsh because they were pretty much a ZXR750J with some of the race kit developments in them. Strip the fairings off a 1991 ZXR750 and a ZX7R and you struggle to tell them apart.

Do it if you want to build a nostalgic replica but don't expect it to be fast. I traded mine for a new Fireblade way back in 2003 and realised I'd wasted thousands of pounds ten seconds after riding the newer bike.