So, what if

Started by 7550, July 06, 2019, 08:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So what if MotoGP rules were relaxed . Manufacturers were allowed to build whatever they wanted. What do you think manufactures would build. Would we see bigger engines, more aerodynamics, more electronics ??? Rotary engines ?

Bikes can only have 2 wheels. And the races and calendar stay as they are. No changing of bike throughout the season.

Discuss.

chuggy

Bigger engines for sure...relaxed the duty so makes it easier... probably dedicated electronics and yes more of them
Covered front wheels maybe
More exotic materials maybe

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Alzo

Smaller lighter engines with Superchargers...aerodynamics would play a massive part as would electronics...riders would play a lesser part.

Phil_8

Quite a few years ago now i remember an article where motogp engineers were asked to design what they imagined would be the ultimate bike would look like.

Most ended up looking like furitistic versions of the dust bin type fairings

MOzZereLLa

Quote from: chuggy on July 06, 2019, 08:25:36 AM
Bigger engines for sure...relaxed the duty so makes it easier... probably dedicated electronics and yes more of them

There aren't any restrictions on materials already afaik. It's still a prototype class.

Make the engines too big and powerful and the tyre width and wheel sizes need to change. Make the tyres wider and handling suffers. That might make the bike slower overall therefore counter productive.

Personally, I think the only thing that might change if the rule book was thrown out is more aero and maybe a slightly bigger engine. Obviously, the factories would develop their own electronics rather than being on a control ECU.
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

David W

They'd probably do something quite boring like 1200cc engines, 24L fuel tanks, auto gear boxes and GPS engine management.

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on July 06, 2019, 09:35:10 AM

There aren't any restrictions on materials already afaik. It's still a prototype class.
Make the engines too big and powerful and the tyre width and wheel sizes need to change. Make the tyres wider and handling suffers. That might make the bike slower overall therefore counter productive.
Personally, I think the only thing that might change if the rule book was thrown out is more aero and maybe a slightly bigger engine. Obviously, the factories would develop their own electronics rather than being on a control ECU.

Pretty sure there is a load of materials not allowed. Had a flick through the rule book ages ago, and certain metals were banned from brake calipers. Don't think they are allowed to use carbon fibre wheels either.

mc101

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on July 06, 2019, 09:35:10 AM

True but there is a minimun weight limit and materials engineering in the bikes is ALL about weight.

Electronics are the real time benefit here ....
2015: NLR HT1 Endurance (1st)
2014: ACU National Endurance 1000 (2nd)

chuggy

Fim motogp tech regs excerpt attached