Rider sag

Started by Lord Danoir the first, August 02, 2018, 10:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Danoir the first

35mm usually does it for sports bike road and track although I've got the Buell set at 40mm.

I've read with the KTM RC8, it should be nearer 25-30mm........ do any of you beautiful fuckers have an opinion?........ Except Carbon of course.

Don't point me in the direction of the KTM forum...... useless

Andy M

General rule for road bikes is 25-30 front and 20-25 rear.

I think the rc8r is over spring as standard. What have you got as a measurement?

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Maddog

Give Dave Wood Racing (01296 336750) a ring. He raced and won the support series to BSB on one. (RC8 cup from memory)

Alzo

Set it up as suggested in handbook...ride it...see if you like it...then report back.

Lord Danoir the first

Handbook only gives static sag info which I've set up. Rider sag is obviously with the suspension loaded with chubby old me and I'm about 6st heavier than when I last rode bikes regularly..... particularly on track.

35mm front and back always gave me enough travel and I tend to prefer softer set ups, particularly on the front.

Typically with the tinternet, info is conflicting.

Andy M

My figures were rider (loaded) sag
Does all come down to personal preference

I used to have a decent book on this part written by Andy Ibbot, I'll buy a new copy and screenshot you the relevant pages

Alzo

When I set the Sag on my S1000r ideally you needed an assistant....so you stood bike on wheels...took a measurement from a point on frame and a point on Swingarm...you then sat on bike and measured points again...adjust until you met the parameters given...repeat at front....sorted...sag set to individuals weight.

Lord Danoir the first

Quote from: Alzo on August 04, 2018, 06:44:19 AM
When I set the Sag on my S1000r ideally you needed an assistant....so you stood bike on wheels...took a measurement from a point on frame and a point on Swingarm...you then sat on bike and measured points again...adjust until you met the parameters given...repeat at front....sorted...sag set to individuals weight.

Can't do rider sag on your own, Anna is well versed in the art..... I'm just after people's opinions on the dim's. Am thinking Andy M's figures are probably more appropriate, certainly with my added weight....... when I was 11 stone, 35mm still left me with plenty of travel even on softer settings....... now I'm a few ounces 'healthier'....... <wheeze.....thud>...... less travel on preload leaves me with more compression.

David W

Depends on spring rates too.
The more well padded gentleman might benefit from some firmer springing.
The Wag at K-Tech suggested something from a Land Rover might be applicable to me.
Oh, how we laughed.

Lord Danoir the first

Thankfully I can just about get in range with the current springs.......... preload wound right up with the forks though

Andy M

Been doing some homework generally and have managed to find a sweet spot with the panigale.

Dan bear in mind that if you are using all the preload you might be affecting rake/trail. Probably not an issue but worth noting. Might lose 5mm or so putting all the preload on forks, bit more front biased etc? Happened on my old r6

Have seen loads of conflicting info some say up to 35mm sag like you mentioned is the appropriate range

Lord Danoir the first

Yes I'm looking forward to getting it out at Donington next week.

Front preload is wound right in, plus I've pushed the forks through to raise the front for comfort...... wheelbase will be about as wide as it can be so I may struggle holding a line on exit.

I really struggled with the MV at the valley track day, as soon as I wound on the gas, the front seemed to pick up and run me wide..... the effect was profound. Turned out that the shock was well worn.

KTM seems fine as set up for the road though.

1-600-matt

Static front 20-25mm
Rider front 30-40mm

Static rear 10-15mm
Rider rear 30-40mm

If you can't get in those ranges spring rate is wrong
When measuring static raise the bike, unloading suspension but push down on wheel to take up any sag due to topout springs I.e you have to push against the topout spring to get the forks or shock fully extended. Some bikes that's fuck all, on the b1 there is a good 5mm in the front forks. When you set the bike down nice and gentle measure sag where it settles, compress front and rear and allow to rebound, measure again. Difference in the two measurements is stiction. Too much indicates a problem. Sag should take the average of the two measurements.