Cap on Horsepower.

Started by Alzo, November 13, 2019, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alzo

If...the powers that be decided a Horsepwer cap was to be applied to road going motorcycles irrespective of CC's or engine configuration what would we be accepting of...100bhp...150bhp...thoughts?

Jarse

100 not enough. Going back to the ZZR1100 days and the "gentleman's agreement" to cap power.

2 up with luggage over distance and you are falling well short.

I've never had 150 so will leave others to discuss the upper threshold.

Alzo

The power of my current S1000R at 165bhp and 80 odd foot pounds is for me a nice balance...not crazy stupid...but enough to provide plenty go and keep me safe...I think underpowered bikes are unsafe if you cannot at least match the performance of a modern car.

My REX has 151bhp at the back wheel. Torque must be about the 80s too. For the roads that is more than enough. Unless you are planning on doing jail time speeds. My SX has less power than the REX and has done 2 up touring and I have never thought the SX was lacking.( in reflash mode)
Can't remember what the manufacturers gentlemen's agreement was back in the day , 155 bhp ? IF they were to bring it back 155 would be enough for the roads IMO. Don't want to see any restrictions though.

komp

no idea what bhp either of my bikes have.
I just know its enough!
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Thegodfather

If there was a cap then 150 to 160 would be more than enough on the road I reckon.

terry950sm

I am all for max 100bhp on the road. Anything more is wasted. Power restrictions will come so be prepared.
Growing old gracefully

MOzZereLLa

135-145 bhp would be perfect.

Handling and ultra light weight to match and you're laughing.
Significantly faster than you.....

Jarse

Depends what you use your bike for.

terry950sm

I bet most people don't use  more than 100bhp while riding on the road.
Growing old gracefully

Kitb4460

My Zed is abut 115 now with decat. It is plenty for me in my " older " years and i'm happy with that.

Had bikes with more when i was younger and daft.

Never riden one of todays sportsbikes so couldn't comment on how much the fire breathing ones feel.

My opinion would be 150 is plenty for todays roads.
Retired Rozzer and loving it.

Neio79

140 ish on the 848 Evo, if i had it tuned , over that but that is more than enough for the road TBH.

I cant see why 200+BHP is needed on a road going bike. you literally can't use it.

Jimhas7

I dont want to see a cap but if thats whats coming I guess there is not much we can do.

I am just glad I lived through the petrol head generation and had all my fun when I was growing up, I am planning on keeping my bike as long as I can and making the most of it on track where I can use more of the HP than I ever should on a public road albeit within my meagre capabilities :rofl:

Oh and id say as we have landed at 200BHP then why cut back just stop it there?

Alzo

I have no idea if there is any talk on capping power...I was merely asking what folks felt was the right balance.
I want a 200 bhp bike....why...just because...there's no need...but there is a want.

Jimhas7

Sold, so do I... 200 it is then  :thumbsup: