Turning into a VFR400 restoration project

Started by 1-600-matt, May 18, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-600-matt

So I haven't been able to do much to the Honda lately what with moving house and a few other things. But I'm in my new place and am moving the contents of my garage tomorrow... Not helped by the untimely death of my van. The fact my WR is smoking and needs some investigation, the van is dead, my b1 needs a service and the car needs brake pads may delay me a bit, but the Honda project will start again.

My next issue will be the exhaust. The stock one was rotted out at the collector for the front two pipes, the rest of the system is good. So I bought a faddy daddy system off eBay, but when I had a quick go at fitting it things just didn't seem to line up. Does anyone know of a decent exhaust place in the Swindon/Chippenham area who could maybe repair the stock system?

1-600-matt

So, finally I got onto a bit more work on the Honda.
Top yoke removed

And the real reason to get it apart was to clean up the lower one and give the bearings some grease.

While I was at the lab I got the clock and headlight brackets painted up

And also the fairing bracket

The yokes are painted, but I'm gonna get the top one clear powder coated as it's down to bare aluminium after grit blasting it. Hope to get that done this week and hopefully get some time to clean up the headstock and then I can get the front end back together and finally put some stuff back together!

Carbon_ZX6R

its amazing how a bit of paint can make something look brand new again
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

1-600-matt

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on April 26, 2015, 11:18:53 AM

Grit blasting back to bare metal helps as well! ;)

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: 1-600-matt on April 26, 2015, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on April 26, 2015, 11:18:53 AM

Grit blasting back to bare metal helps as well! ;)
it sure does
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

1-600-matt

So, got a question for you lot.

Exposed the bare aluminium of the top yoke after painting it up

But there is a bit of a raggedy edge on the paint as I didn't use a good masking tape!

So do I do it again and get some proper edging masking tape stuff, or, stop titting about get it powder coated and hope no one notices (apart from me every time I see the bike!!)?

What to do?

Coxy

Jonesy

1-600-matt

So I tidied up the rough edge and then it was time to tackle painting the little Honda logo back in.
I was struggling a bit, then thought I could try a hypodermic needle and syringe!

It was a bit of a disaster, paint just came out in a bead and would bleed out over the face of the  aluminium. So I cleaned it up, again!
Turns out one of the guys in work is well into model craft and has done lots of very high standard detailed paint work. So he offered to paint it for me. I am going red instead of the stock black.

1-600-matt

Well, lower yoke all finished with a bit of clear coat over the matte black. And the top yoke ready for what I had planned to be a clear powder coat

So I bring the top yoke to the powder coasters to be told they can't coat over the black paint as the paint would blister during baking the powder coat. Balls. That has balls'd that plan.

Here is the logo painted up. He added a lacquer to help stop the black bleeding out onto the surface. What's the thoughts on how it looks. The mrs likes it, I'm not 100% convinced. But it would be tricky to remove it without wrecking the logo.

So now I have an option. Grit blast the black off it... Again... And get it powder coated black in the same manner as the current paint job, then powder coat clear over it, or, buy a tin of clear coat which can be applied direct to bare aluminium. Powder coat would work out cheaper than the clear coat. But I would have clear left over to maybe use on other parts like footpeg carriers, Gear lever etc. what's the thoughts?

komp

i think the logo looks great!  :cool: better than i could have done
KTM 1290 Superduke GT
BMW R nine T

Jarse

1-600-matt

Quote from: komp on May 20, 2015, 11:18:39 AM
i think the logo looks great!  :cool: better than i could have done

Better than I could of done as well!!

Put the steering stem back together. I'm liking the look of this... Ignoring the jumble of cables and levers!!

1-600-matt

So I have finally got back to the vfr!!

This was a pretty shit job by the powder coaters, they didn't charge me and it will do for a while until I get it back up and running and I will sort it sometime!

Brakes stripped and seals replaced. Did the mc as well and fitted brembo pads.

Honda doing it right with an o-ring on the bleed nipple!

Current job is the carbs. Need a set of jets and needles as I have a tyga exhaust system on order for it!! I only ever rode it while it was restricted as it was originally my mrs bike. So when I get roughly 60-65hp from it (fingers crossed) it's gonna be a right laugh.

Gilby104

absolutely drooling over this - VFR400 was my childhood dream bike. Lovely to see you doing it up so nicely.