Street fighter running rough

Started by Roppa6r, July 22, 2017, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roppa6r

Hi all, I almost finished a streetfighter project on a ZX6R G1 1998, today is the first time i've ridden it and although it starts OK ist rough a low revs ie pulling away gets better mid range and rough again at higher revs. Obviously it has had the ram air system removed. Any ideas.

Pretty sure you will have to connect the ram air up for it to run smoothly.

yorkie

Or at the very least the small ram air pipe pointing forward into the airflow.

Roppa6r

Hi guys.
I had it running without the ram air when I first started the project and it rode fine, it's been running since but it revved smooth, it's now seems the same through the rev range but feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. I have had a problem in the past when the #y# pipe was disconnected, then it ran smooth but bogged down at higher revs.

Maddog

Have you done the Kleen air mod? Google it as  it may help

Roppa6r

looks like this is for a fuel injection model, mines carbs 1998

DaveH

What's been changed since the last time it ran properly?

Alzo

Quote from: DaveH on July 25, 2017, 10:17:56 PM
Brexit...Nicola has less of a hold on Scotland...Trump...and May is on holiday.

Roppa6r

Nothing really, it was running fine before I took the tank of to get powder coated and even though it hadn't been riddedn it started and ran fine, the only thing I can thgink of at the moment is muck in the carbs. I've got some carb cleaner so i going to blast some down the carbs to see if that helps as nothing else has changed.

DaveH

Quote from: Alzo on July 26, 2017, 01:49:58 PM
Quote from: DaveH on July 25, 2017, 10:17:56 PM
Brexit...Nicola has less of a hold on Scotland...Trump...and May is on holiday.
:rofl: :rofl:

DaveH

Quote from: Roppa6r on July 26, 2017, 03:48:42 PM
Nothing really, it was running fine before I took the tank of to get powder coated and even though it hadn't been riddedn it started and ran fine, the only thing I can thgink of at the moment is muck in the carbs. I've got some carb cleaner so i going to blast some down the carbs to see if that helps as nothing else has changed.
Tank was away getting powder coated?

Something dislodged, not enough to look it, but enough to cause an air leak? Maybe one of the bungs has come out of one of the carb balance pipes?

Roppa6r

Can't see anything dislodged or loose. Just changed the fuel filter and it's slightly better but still lumpy. seems to be pulling AAT speed s lumpy, gets a but better and then gets lumpy again around 4k.

Dom1

I agree with GRUMPY, I think it is a Ram Air issue.

Sounds very like the symptoms of a disconnected Y pipe.

Bit of an ugly example but I recall seeing early ZX6R street fighter still having part of the Ram Air tube exposed to keep them running right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXObOJvRsCA

When you ran it before had the system been fully removed?
"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP

Roppa6r

yes it had, the only difference was the last time it ran it did have the 2 tubes from the air box tha tattach to the resonator boxes, they are not on currently. I remember last year I had a problem that turned out to be thew 'Y' pipe disconnected , then the bike ran Ok until I tried to wind it on and then it bogged down but was great low to mid range. now it's lumpy even when standing still being revved and also when pulling away so don't understand how it's the ram air.

Dom1

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." - Robin Williams RIP