Engine using water

Started by 1-600-matt, October 23, 2018, 11:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-600-matt

Having got the bike back from catalunya I firstly noticed the sticking starter motor,
But when I have started to take it apart noticed all the water gone from the expansion bottle.
No visible leaks around the rad or engine yet, no milky oil filler cap or in sight glass. Guess it could be leaking into a cylinder and burning off.

What's next to check? Colour of plugs? Maybe a pressure test? Any other suggestions?

Alzo

Had similiar....took a whole load of investigation to discover a crack cylinder liner was the culprit.

1-600-matt

Quote from: Alzo on October 24, 2018, 06:06:23 AM
Had similiar....took a whole load of investigation to discover a crack cylinder liner was the culprit.

Were there any telltale signs in the water circuit? Dirt or debris etc?

Alzo

Quote from: 1-600-matt on October 24, 2018, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: Alzo on October 24, 2018, 06:06:23 AM

Were there any telltale signs in the water circuit? Dirt or debris etc?
No...it just spat the coolant out under huge pressure...two attempts to fix failed...thermostat jamming was suspected...changed...failed...next thing was water ways were restricted due to paint getting in at manufacture...new head fitted...failed again...I got a brand new replacement motorcycle...broken bike sat in dealers until winter and in the quiet of the winter they stripped engine completely to discover the true cause.