Bike covers

Started by PJ, October 27, 2014, 02:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ

Anyone recommend a heavy duty one?

Up til recently I've had an Oxford Rainex cover which has worn well except the lower half is a thinner silver material which once torn slightly rips in lovely long lines. So I thought I'd upgrade to the Oxford Stormex cover as it seems more durable. Bought the Medium which according to the packaging is for a Sports or Naked bike and in the pics it shows a ZX10R and an R6.

Slapped it on the bike yesterday and it fits like a glove, literally like I shrink wrapped the bike in black plastic, but there is one huge issue. It seems to be a recent addition to the Stormex cover but there is an extra vent now on the back of the cover, which when on my bike sits flat and horizontal on the pillion seat and no matter how much messing around I do it won't overhang the bike. Obviously this means in the rain it will piss into the vent and soak the inside.

Rang J&S and they suggested I either gaffer tape the vent up, or buy the large version so I rang Oxford themselves who told me outright that the large would be really baggy and I'd need to tie things around it to keep it from gaping open. They also told me to ignore the pictures on the packaging and the description and instead use the dimensions listed on their website.

The rear height of the medium cover is for a bike up to 99cm, the large being up to a 101cm tall rear end.

According to Google (various sources) the R6 rear end is 109cm tall so Oxford advised that no cover they do would be suitable. J&S were brilliant and refunded me the 70quid but I'm now in a situation where I have a knackered cover and need to get a new one ASAP.

Any recommendations?

Carbon_ZX6R

Oxford stormex , job done
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

PJ

Lord Danoir the first

How about that one Alzo posted on Faceache........ only £3k to you my boy!!

WizzBang

I've used Oxford stormex covers for the past few years, a good fit when I had the R1, and a slightly baggy fit (due to no mirrors) on CBR.  Wouldn't look at buying anything else.

PJ

Quote from: WizzBang on October 27, 2014, 03:45:10 PM
I've used Oxford stormex covers for the past few years, a good fit when I had the R1, and a slightly baggy fit (due to no mirrors) on CBR.  Wouldn't look at buying anything else.

That was my thinking too mate, but they seem to have changed the design. The one I bought now as standard has a panel in the front for a Solariser charger and a clear panel at the back for the numberplate to be seen, plus this extra vent.

If the vent hadn't been there, or hadn't been horizontal and therefore letting water in I'd have been a happy boy.

Manic636

I  was very happy with the R+G cover,  kept the bike dry but i suspect my gsxr is lower at the back end,  ill measure it tomorrow and let you know

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: PJ on October 27, 2014, 03:26:12 PM
Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on October 27, 2014, 03:03:35 PM
Oxford stormex , job done

Cunny funt!
aparrently I didn't read as much of the thread as I thought I had....
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

tommo777

i use an oxford stormex after the rainex kept ripping.  bought a stormex one size bigger than suggested and it's much better -- easier to put on without snagging, and enough spare that my cat doesn't stretch/tear it when he sits/sleeps on the bike.  thicker material too.