Decent suspension on a budget?

Started by Maddog, July 27, 2014, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Gobert on July 27, 2014, 10:43:12 PM
That's the thing - you accept what you've got as the standard then you try something else and the goalposts move.

The biggest thing I've noticed on track is how tyre wear improves as you use better, well set up kit. Going through a back tyre every day is NOT funny.........
not at todays prices its not!!
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Nat

I had a slightly different problem in that my standard suspension was way too hard and I was out of the seat on any little bump.

Took my bike to MCT suspension who said they could help me without replacing the whole shock - they completely stripped and rebuilt it and changed the spring and it's worked an absolute treat (ask M6rk what they actually did to the insides, I have no idea).  The bike feels a million times better.  Except for a little tweaking they didn't need to do anything to the front.

Give them a ring and they'll tell you what they will and won't be able to do with what you've got http://www.mctsuspension.co.uk/Home.html

Oh, I spent about £300 by the way.
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General Keller

Gobert

+1 to MCT - only ever read / hear positive things about them.

MIKE - ZX10r

They totally transformed my 04 ZX10r
And if their good enough for the national endurance champions .....

Maddog

Cheers for the replies.

I will probably look at a service on the forks...springs etc and get something done on the shock......maybe re spring and fluid

Carbon_ZX6R

Get cartridge kits and be done with it
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

1-600-matt

Quote from: Maddog on July 27, 2014, 07:50:51 PM
Im 16 stone.

Any suggestions? Would a standard fork/shock rebuild be of any use? If so can anyone who has had it done recommend a particular setup....springs, fluid etc

Set it up first and see where you are with sag etc first. An after market rear shock transformed my b1 zx6r, but that is not in your budget really. But the best budget move is to get it setup first and see if there are any major issues to concentrate on, then chip away bit by bit. Rear sag being changed can transform a bike alone.

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

Carbon_ZX6R

2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

David W

K-Tech reworked the forks on my Fireblade and my SP2 for about £200 from memory.  Big improvement.  I think you've got to going some to need to worry about replacement cartridges etc.  Most rear shocks can be tweaked but OE shocks are usually pretty cheap.  I read somewhere the manufacturer shock budget on a Sportsbike is about £50!