(non bike related) - VW Bay Window Camper

Started by Jonesy, June 18, 2015, 07:54:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard of MOz

Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on June 18, 2015, 08:34:33 am
Quote from: Jonesy on June 18, 2015, 07:54:26 am
The previous owner had kept her for 20years and was selling due to divorce, needless to say he was a sad when I left...  :crybaby2:


the only way that story could be more tragic, is if you'd got Swarbrick to haggle for you.

the fucker would be hanging over his stair landing right now.


I'm not so sure about that - its the kind of vehicle that could sell itself at more than the asking price and roundhouse kick Mr Haggle in the bollocks if he even tried to barter!!!
Significantly faster than you.....

The Wizard of MOz

Significantly faster than you.....

the invisible dog

Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on June 18, 2015, 08:07:26 pm
Quote from: Lord Danoir the first on June 18, 2015, 08:34:33 am
Quote from: Jonesy on June 18, 2015, 07:54:26 am
The previous owner had kept her for 20years and was selling due to divorce, needless to say he was a sad when I left...  :crybaby2:


the only way that story could be more tragic, is if you'd got Swarbrick to haggle for you.

the fucker would be hanging over his stair landing right now.


I'm not so sure about that - its the kind of vehicle that could sell itself at more than the asking price and roundhouse kick Mr Haggle in the bollocks if he even tried to barter!!!


Quite! - http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22723/lot/347/  :rolleyes:


Jonesy

Quote from: the invisible dog on June 19, 2015, 10:47:52 am
Quote from: The Wizard of MOz on June 18, 2015, 08:07:26 pm
I'm not so sure about that - its the kind of vehicle that could sell itself at more than the asking price and roundhouse kick Mr Haggle in the bollocks if he even tried to barter!!!


Quite! - http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22723/lot/347/  :rolleyes:


thats a splitscreen 23 window samba which are very sought after and fairly rare but yeah same idea...

I wouldnt mine being worth a 1/4 of that!  :shocked:

Started to make enquiries about the bodywork yesterday and today  :cool:

komp

ooo very nice
always had a soft spot for VW campers
me folks are trying to get hold of a "good" one at the moment
Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

Jonesy

Komp - they looking for a splitty or bay window?

Just up at the garage awaiting an MOT, thought I'd get her tested and see what outcome was, that way I have a few weeks until the old MOT runs out to rectify anything  :undecided:

Jonesy

Well there's a spanner in the works....

She passed without even an advisory :D

Now what do I do? Ah well a years peace free motoring!

Carbon_ZX6R

Quote from: Jonesy on June 19, 2015, 05:20:12 pm
Well there's a spanner in the works....

She passed without even an advisory :D

Now what do I do? Ah well a years peace free motoring!

had a feeling she might!
planning any changes to her?
2004 ZX-6R B1H    
- Full Akra Titanium System                
- Gilles rear sets                     
- R&G Crash Bungs
- Hyperpro Rsc Damper
- Many other mods

komp

Quote from: Jonesy on June 19, 2015, 04:25:45 pm
Komp - they looking for a splitty or bay window?

Just up at the garage awaiting an MOT, thought I'd get her tested and see what outcome was, that way I have a few weeks until the old MOT runs out to rectify anything  :undecided:


all the ones they showed me were just the std bay window, i guess more likely in their price range

Triumph Speed Triple RS
KTM 990 SMT

Jonesy

June 19, 2015, 08:32:01 pm #24 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:34:46 pm by Jonesy
7-12k depending on what you want and how well it's been done is about average.

Actually something did come up in the MOT.... They weren't sure she should have the black and silver plates?! Just looked it up and as long as she's registered before 1 Jan 1973 which she is all good :)

Quote from: Carbon_ZX6R on June 19, 2015, 05:28:15 pm
planning any changes to her?


Not really, just get the bodywork sorted and leave her as is - oh perhaps a bunk above the front seats for the little un'!

Maddog

Sweet van mate

Regarding work to be done, i can highly recommend www.terrysbeetles.co.uk they are in West London. Anyone in the vw scene will know the names Luke Theochari and Peter Englezos. They are the men behind Terrys.

Google them and have a butchers at the work they do.

Jonesy

February 06, 2016, 07:13:58 pm #26 Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:53:40 pm by Jonesy
So I drove this as was for a few months and the gearbox whine was getting noticeable (to me) louder so today saw a strip out of the engine and gearbox so that the gearbox can go off to a specialist to be rebuilt

3 hours of very methodical and slowly slowly saw the gearbox and engine removed